The email address in "Contact AK: Ads and more" above will vanish from November 2018.

PRIVACY POLICY

FAKE ASSI AK71 IN HWZ.

Featured blog.

1M50 CPF millionaire in 2021!

Ever since the CPFB introduced a colorful pie chart of our CPF savings a few years ago, I would look forward to mine every year like a teena...

Past blog posts now load week by week. The old style created a problem for some as the system would load 50 blog posts each time. Hope the new style is better. Search archives in box below.

Archives

"E-book" by AK

Second "e-book".

Another free "e-book".

4th free "e-book".

Pageviews since Dec'09

Financially free and Facebook free!

Recent Comments

ASSI's Guest bloggers

Inexpensive high class food ready in 5 minutes!

Saturday, May 4, 2013

People sometimes have this impression that AK71 only eats oatmeal, barley, bread and cheap hawker fare. Well, AK71 consumes "atas" (high class) food also from time to time. Honest!

Today, AK71 decided to go Western because Western is atas. So, fish and chips? Atas or not? OK, ok. I know fish and chips was a working class food in Britain. Not very atas. How come it acquired an atas status in Asia?

What about sausages and mashed potato? In Britain, those who read "Bash Street Kids" would know, the dish is called "bangers and mash". This is a traditional British offering and also a common working class dish.

See? All these "atas" Western dishes are actually not so in Britain!

Anyway, I had a craving for sausages and mashed potato. So, I feigned ignorance and pretended it was atas.

At the supermarket, I picked a box which looked promising. The words "Vienna sausage" were printed on the box.

Vienna? Wasn't that place home to Mozart and Beethoven? Well, if the sausages are good enough for talented musicians, they are good enough for AK71!

Maybe, they will bring out the musician in me... You don't think so? Neither did I.

Ready to eat in 5 minutes and 30 seconds!

My good and rather old microwave oven. No fancy digital numbers and soft touch buttons.

Bon appetit!

Proudly produced in Singapore by Delifrance Singapore Pte Ltd. I wonder how much such a meal would cost in one of their restaurants?

How much did I pay for this? An "atas" $4.90. Burp...

Caution! The very health conscious type, please avoid.

More good deals? Check these out:

Cafes in Singapore up to 90% cheaper

18 comments:

seefei said...

Saw Phaik Hua will be very happy to hear your comment on her company product. Too bad the counter is illiquid and not under investor radar...

AK71 said...

Hi seefei,

Sounds familiar. The lady who got SMRT all the bad press? ;p

seefei said...

Yup, that's the lady who coincidently also brought the company share from 60cts to a high of $2.30. She is the CEO of Auric Pacific limited now, the franchise of some atas brands like Delifrance and Milo...

AK71 said...

Hi seefei,

Maybe, she can work her magic in Auric Pacific again! Should be easier as I cannot imagine Milo breaking down anywhere except in our tummies. ;p

Cory said...

Such pre-pack meal can be bought in 7-11 stores in Taiwan for like S$3 I think. They are equip with ovens to heat and sidebar to consume.

AK71 said...

Hi Cory,

The Taiwanese are really innovative when it comes to instant noodles too even in the 90s which was when I first visited the city of Taipei. I was amazed by the variety! I ate at least a bowl each day. ;p

letissier07 said...

Milo belongs to Nestle by the way...

But i am beginning to see the effects of Saw Phaik Hua... for the first time in a long while i am seeing sampling of SCS butter/products...She is a retail person indeed..

AK71 said...

Hi letissier,

My sister and mom use only SCS butter which has, unfortunately, gone up some 50% in price in the last two years...

Garfield75 said...

Ak71,

Pls dun microwave those plastic containers, it is not good for your health! I prefer to make things from scratch.....used to take leave to make curry rempah....haha.. Even my mum thinks that I am nuts!

AK71 said...

Hi Garfield,

Oh, dear. I was just following the instructions on the box. :(

I did think of transferring the contents to a microwaveable container first. Should have done that.

You would take leave to cook? I think you must be a good cook. :D

Matt said...

AK,

Oil or fat, plastic and microwave are not supposed to go together. I have stopped using the microwave for a long time. Convection oven is much safer.

Not healthy leh. Check out the other ingredients and see what other enhancers and stabilisers are used.

AK71 said...

Hi Matt,

Oh, definitely unhealthy! No arguments there. :)

I don't do this often. Maybe, not even once a year. Hahaha... So, I guess I am safe. ;p

Actually, what about food they serve to us inflight? I guess they heat them up before serving, right? I wonder if they are safe to eat. :(

Matt said...

AK,

Airline food are reheated in a convection oven. Notice the aluminum foil trays the food are served in? Metal in microwave ovens will be a major fire hazard. By the way, the food is also cooked on the same day, that's why they are not sealed like the Vienna sausage you had.

AK71 said...

Hi Matt,

That is good to know. I actually quite enjoy airline food and most of the time, I finish the food they give me!

On long flights, I feel like a pig as they keep feeding me while I stay in my seat. ;p

EY said...

Hi AK,

As someone who advocates prudence in money management and good financial habits, shouldn't you role model good eating habits too?

*Shaking head*

*Waving a disapproving (index)finger*

Hahahaha! :P

If you are into microwave food, you can try chee cheong fun. Taste better than some of the freshly steamed ones but can't beat those sold at Chinatown hawker centre or Redhill market.

If we can, of course we should always eat fresh! :D

Cheers,
Endrene

AK71 said...

Hi Endrene,

I know, I know. I am a junk food junkie, believe it or not. I love chocolates and ice cream way too much. I like McMuffins and I like instant noodles too! :(

I absolutely love the hawker food in Redhill Market, ABC Market and Tiong Bahru Market! Hawker food = junk food or not? ;p

My routine staples are somewhat healthier, I hope. Oatmeal and wholemeal bread are daily eats for me. :)

EY said...

Hi AK,

Good morning!

I’m enjoying 豆粽 from my favourite chee cheong fun stall located in the coffee shop opposite Redhill Market. They sell homemade kuehs too. I just finished my 九层糕, peeling it layer by layer. Comfort food and brings back loads of childhood memories. Nice! Very glad that Redhill Market is near my office. So I usually go there to buy breakfast 2-3 times a week. The fried carrot cake is mouth watering tasty! More chilli and add another egg, pleassseeeee! :D

Hawker food is junk food meh? Is it? To me only western food is junk lor. :P

Bet you had a hearty, healthy breakfast. Have a good day ahead! Mine’s ending at 8.30pm. Loooong day. :)

Cheers,
Endrene

AK71 said...

Hi Endrene,

I used to stay within a 15 minutes brisk walk to Redhill Market. Ah, I miss my old place in Tiong Bahru. Oh, well. I will have new markets to explore when I move to my new place in D12 in future. ;)


Monthly Popular Blog Posts

All time ASSI most popular!

 
 
Bloggy Award