The email address in "Contact AK: Ads and more" above will vanish from November 2018.

PRIVACY POLICY

FAKE ASSI AK71 IN HWZ.

Featured blog.

1M50 CPF millionaire in 2021!

Ever since the CPFB introduced a colorful pie chart of our CPF savings a few years ago, I would look forward to mine every year like a teena...

Past blog posts now load week by week. The old style created a problem for some as the system would load 50 blog posts each time. Hope the new style is better. Search archives in box below.

Archives

"E-book" by AK

Second "e-book".

Another free "e-book".

4th free "e-book".

Pageviews since Dec'09

Financially free and Facebook free!

Recent Comments

ASSI's Guest bloggers

Tea with Solace: Getting Ready For Investment. (Part Two)

Monday, August 19, 2013

Solace continues:

Building up Investment Knowledge

To me, this is the most tedious and tiring part. I was not educated in the field of finance and accounting. So, I have to learn everything by myself from scratch.

I need to create my own personalized winning plan. In order to do it, I need to know what I want, specifically my investment objectives and risk profile. This should be the first step before I start to invest.


I am only investing in stocks but note that there are other products available such as commodities, FOREX and derivatives (Options, Futures, Contract for Difference). Many of these products, however, are riskier than stocks and often involve trading with leverage. I believe that we should not invest in something which we do not have enough knowledge in. So, I avoid these.

There are two main approaches when it comes to the analysis of stocks. They are fundamental analysis and technical analysis.

Fundamental analysis involves making an assessment of a company operations. Various factors such as profit, forecast profit, outlook for the industry, key personnel in senior appointments and members of board of director are considered in a fundamental analysis.




Three key financial statements are used:
1. Statement of Cash Flow 
(see Cash Flow Statement)
2. Balance Sheet
(see Balance Sheet)
3. Profit and Loss Statement
(see Income Statement)

They are available in the annual reports.

I watch the valuation of a company carefully. Even the most wonderful and fundamentally strong company is a poor investment if purchased at too high a price. Look out for P/E, P/B, PEG, earning yield, cash return and discounted cash flow etc.

Always have a margin of safety when purchasing shares.

Safety first!

Technical analysis is the study of a stock's actual price, to help form an opinion on the likely future direction of a stock. It makes use of charting software and looking at trends. Some of the common indicators I used are moving averages, Relative Strength Index, MACD, Stochastic Oscillator and On Balance Volume (OBV).




Conclusion

In closing, I think that we need to arm ourselves with the necessary tools to be a successful investor. I am continuously learning and discovering new things from time to time. Never think we have learnt enough about the markets, one should always continue to seek further knowledge.

The day we believe we have learnt enough about investment will also be the first day on our way to failure as we have become complacent.

Related post:
Tea with Solace: Getting Ready For Investment. (Part One)

0 comments:


Monthly Popular Blog Posts

All time ASSI most popular!

 
 
Bloggy Award