Sponsored Links

To retire by age 45, start with a plan.

"Is early retirement the right financial choice?" Jim Ellis discusses long-term financial growth strategies. I have blogged ab...

Past blog posts now load week by week. The old style created a problem for some as the system would load 50 blog posts each time. Hope the new style is better. Search archives in box below.

Archives

"E-book" by AK

Second "e-book".

Pageviews since Dec'09

Recent Comments

ASSI's Guest bloggers

Inaugural "Meet The Readers" session?

Saturday, January 10, 2015

On and off, I would receive requests from readers to meet up. Knowing me, I would politely decline and suggest that interaction be carried out online instead. There are many reasons why I would rather not meet up and I think regular readers can guess what some of these are.

However, in the last few months, I have received many more requests and when I shared with a fellow blogger that there was a recent email that came with photos as well, he was incredulous but mostly amused.

Well, that odd incident aside, I feel that most readers who have written to me, asking to meet up, are genuinely interested in engaging me in face to face discussions. (Well, technically, this is impossible since I would be wearing a mask and a pair of shades.)




After thinking the matter through as I had a bit more time in recent weeks, I discussed the possibility of having an event for readers with a couple of friends and I asked if they could help me with this.

The group size should be limited to 40 people and the session should last 3 hours or so. I think 40 is a good number. A smaller group would hopefully provide a better experience for everyone.

I am thinking of getting other speakers to share their experience and ideas too since I constantly say I don't know everything there is to know. This is a fact. I think if we can learn from other good investors, this would add value to the event. Sounds good?




It is quite obvious from what I have written so far that I am exploring ways to make the event rewarding for everyone attending. If it is something worth doing, it is worth doing well.

I am thinking of pricing the tickets at $18 each which would include a copy of the book "Gone fishing with Buffett" by Sean Seah, who has graciously agreed to give me a big discount off the book's retail price. For those who do not wish to receive a copy of the book, the ticket will be priced at $6 each. Well, this is what I have in mind now.

Right now, everything is more or less still in the air and I am not going ahead with this until I am sure that there is enough interest.

"An evening with AK and friends."

How does that sound to you? Please let me know what are your thoughts.

48 comments:

Richard Heng said...

Sounds great. I will be interested to attend it :)

boonchin.ng said...

Ooh, Ooh! Picke Me! Pick Me! ;)

RayNg said...

Hi AK,

Good move. I will join in the session.

May be some may wanted to have 1-to-1 mentoring session with you. You could mentor them and earn some professional fee in return.

Capricon said...

AK
It would be helpful to share the topics to discuss.

Thanks

RetailTrader said...

Please sign me up! :)

AK71 said...

So, now, we have a grand total of 4 in the audience. LOL. ;p

Ray, I don't think I am mentor material. A chit chat session, maybe. Mentoring is serious stuff. -.-"

Capricon, I don't really have any topics in mind. I was thinking of setting up a panel of speakers including myself. We can talk about anything to do with personal finance and investments. I would like all the readers to ask questions and we will see where that brings us.

As the event name "An evening with AK and friends" suggests, it will not be a structured event. It is a social event that could turn out to be educational at the same time. :)

seth said...

Lovely idea. Pls sign me up. :)

AK71 said...

Hi RT,

Now, we have 5. ;p

I will wait to see if more readers are interested in the proposed event before deciding whether to go ahead. :)

Ronnie Tang said...

Yes. I want to attend. Reserve for me with book.

AK71 said...

Oops... 2 more. 7 now.

I think I will wait till end of the day to tally the numbers. Very pai sei.

If I get enough show of interest, I will finalise the details of the event together with my bank account number in another blog post for payment purposes.

Then, just pay $18 or $6 according to whether you would like to have the book or not. Of course, you must remember to indicate your name or initials in the payment. I will have to take note for marking of attendance! ;p

Eric Chew said...

I am also interested.

Rebel said...

Power! I will come dressed as Rebel to protect my identity too!

Please assure us that our information will not be used for data mining etc.

bixuan said...

I would be interested :)

AK71 said...

Hi Rebel,

I already thought of an easy way to collect payment which I shared in an earlier comment.

No personal data is required other than your name in the payment. Then, just have to show some form of ID to gain entry at the event. Easy, right? :)

Gary said...

I would be interested to attend as well. Do you have any dates in mind?

Sim Tian Eng said...

Hi AK , yes , it will be a great idea to share experiences among all that I always believe we cud learn from each other's ,, no matters who they are and what are their background,, I would like to attend this gathering if time n schedule permit ,,, do let me know on the timing ,,, cheers !!

Siew Mun said...

Count me in ! I will make 2 tubs of homemade ice cream for you free!

Siew Mun said...

Correction me and my wife

Pangetur said...

Please add me + wife.

Rebel said...

Wahaha i shall make a Rebel ID tonight!

Roy Thian said...

I will be keen to join too.

AK71 said...

Hi all,

I just replied to another reader's email on the proposed event and thought I would just cut and paste here. Lazy me. ;p

"I am not doing any advance selling of tickets. Haha.. ;p

"Don't worry. If the response is really very strong, I will try to arrange multiple sessions so that everyone who wants to attend such an event will have a chance. :)

"Look out for more details in my blog. Thanks. :)"

So, please look out for more details here in my blog. :)

meesiam said...

Ak
wow...6$-18$ .lesser than your last year 出场费 :p.. Value for money, 2 tickets here.

AK71 said...

From my FB wall:

"Please don't have very high expectations hor. It will probably be more of AK talking to himself and I want it to be more a social event that could turn out to be educational. Not a structured class or anything."

AK71 said...

Hi meesiam,

Cannot liddat say. Hahaha... This is more of a social event. Not the same level as InvestX Congress in more ways than one. ;p

People with very high expectations might even find this to be a waste of time. -.-"

look-good-feel-good.com said...

Hi ak yay

me plus friend :)

Cheers Elsie

Francis Oen said...

Sure..I'm interested!
When is it planned??

Jon Wee said...

Dear AK, i hope i'm not too late, already sent you a request for 2 tickets via FB.

For the benefit of so many fans, why not offer 400 seats instead of 40 seats? I'm sure it will be snap up very fast!
Jon

Lena said...

Please count me in. Thanks :)

yeh said...

Ak.
I am interested.

RayNg said...

Quote "..."Please don't have very high expectations hor. It will probably be more of AK talking to himself ..."

Ak cannot talk to himself lah... we come here to listen to your investing wisdom and experience. Talk to us, OK?

AK71 said...

Hi all,

Really, really, really. I never plan for this to be some guru sharing investment or trading secrets session. It is really more of a social event. So, you have been warned hor. ;)

Cannot be a 400 seat event because I want it to be a cosy social event which will allow more interaction with readers. Also, a venue that can sit so many will probably be too expensive. :(

Don't worry. I will probably organise multiple sessions since the response is quite overwhelming. I will try to make sure everyone who would like to attend would get a chance. :)

Rebel said...

Would be nice to have a charity component.

AK71 said...

Hi Rebel,

There is but I am just not saying anything about it. :)

Actually, the entire event has been described as charitable work by a close friend when I told him what I am planning. ;p

wk said...

Great to learn of your sharing session. I'll like to attend if the date is ok.

monyet1984 said...

Wonderful , I would like to attend too

Chris said...

Ak
sign me up please!

Wealth Journey said...

Great! I will be there!

我捧你的场...
不过没钱带你出场。。。

TG 79 said...

Hi AK,

Thanks for organizing such a sharing session. I would like to attend!

garyong83 said...

I would love to attend!

garyong83 said...

Hi AK! Would like to attend too!

Kheng Seong Loi said...

I would like to attend

MenStyle said...

Hi AK71, I have not make any comments on your blog before but I learnt alot from here. I will be giving my support for this event and I will bring a friend as well.

AK71 said...

Hi all,

Thanks for the messages. :)

The blog post with all the details will be out tomorrow. I am carefully going through it to make sure that I have not missed out anything and that I have included everything there is to say.

So, look out for it. ;)

Very likely, this would be the first of a series of sessions. So, don't worry if you are not able to get a ticket this time. There will be many opportunities in future. :)

tanswe said...

I would like to ballot for the ticket too :)

dpang88 said...

Hi AK, I have been a silent reader of your blog for several months. I think this is a great idea. Please count me in. Many thanks.

44b3eb0a-80f7-11e3-9782-000bcdcb2996 said...

Hi AK,

I support this initiative.

+1 ticket Please. If I can't attend I hope you allow one of my family members to attend?

:)

Tree

AK71 said...

Hi all,

The blog post regarding the event will be published in the next few minutes. Please read the instructions carefully before doing anything. :)

Monthly Popular Posts

 
 
Bloggy Award