The email address in "Contact AK: Ads and more" above will vanish from November 2018.

PRIVACY POLICY

FAKE ASSI AK71 IN HWZ.

Featured blog.

1M50 CPF millionaire in 2021!

Ever since the CPFB introduced a colorful pie chart of our CPF savings a few years ago, I would look forward to mine every year like a teena...

Past blog posts now load week by week. The old style created a problem for some as the system would load 50 blog posts each time. Hope the new style is better. Search archives in box below.

Archives

"E-book" by AK

Second "e-book".

Another free "e-book".

4th free "e-book".

Pageviews since Dec'09

Financially free and Facebook free!

Recent Comments

ASSI's Guest bloggers

Sit with all that cash and do nothing?

Friday, May 5, 2017

Reader:
A year ago, I lend $20k to help a friend pay off tuition loan. That was when interest rates were rising and I managed to snap up AIMS AMP Reit and Capitaland retail China on the cheap.




Fast forward to today and with prudent savings and by not spending her bonus, my friend has paid me back. However, stock prices seem to have gone up now given the exuberance over positive Q1 news and I can’t seem to find any other counters that I would like to be vested in. 

Should I continue to add to counters that I like but are trading close to NAV or wait till a correction while risk not having the passive income in between?

What would you do? I just started on my investing journey but I have an adequate emergency fund.




AK:
Aiyoh. I also dunno what to do. Stress.
I buy when I see value.




Reader:
i guess saving and investing when i see value would be the best way to go

AK:
Sounds like a plan 🙂

Reader:
does it bother you that your large warchest goes untouched 90% of the time?

AK:
Nope.
Charlie Munger says it takes character to sit on money. Remember? 




Reader:
haha. i guess patience is a virtue
thanks for your response
i tot i had a 50-50% chance of getting a response



There are two extremes.

On one end, there are people who are almost 100% in cash. I think they are doing a Chicken Little.


On the other end, there are people who don't like to see money sitting in their bank accounts. They imagine the money is rotting away.





I don't believe in being too pessimistic or optimistic. I believe in being pragmatic.


Related posts:
1. My simple investment strategy.
2. Revisiting my simple strategy.

4 comments:

Bruce said...

one of the best recent blogs, some new insights every time i read or watch the clip

Unknown said...

Hi AK,

I am sitting on 40% cash now. Please don't write too many blogs on what you bought so the prices of these companies can come down for me to offload my warchest.

Regards and thanks in advance,
LOL
Matthew

AK71 said...

Hi Matthew,

Alamak. I don't have the power to move prices lah.

OK, I will play games more and talk to myself less. ;p

AK71 said...

Reader:
i guess saving and investing when i see value would be the best way to go

AK:
Sounds like a plan 🙂


Monthly Popular Blog Posts

All time ASSI most popular!

 
 
Bloggy Award