The email address in "Contact AK: Ads and more" above will vanish from November 2018.

FAKE ASSI AK71 IN HWZ.

Featured blog.

1M50 CPF millionaire in 2021!

Ever since the CPFB introduced a colorful pie chart of our CPF savings a few years ago, I would look forward to mine every year like a teena...

Past blog posts now load week by week. The old style created a problem for some as the system would load 50 blog posts each time. Hope the new style is better. Search archives in box below.

Archives

"E-book" by AK

Second "e-book".

Another free "e-book".

4th free "e-book".

Pageviews since Dec'09

Financially free and Facebook free!

Recent Comments

ASSI's Guest bloggers

"Husband lost his job and my savings is zero."

Friday, October 6, 2017

Reader said:

I just recently read your blog but i really enjoy reading them. 


Hard truth with humor.






I am 35 and a mother of 2, and I am so embarrassed to said that I have no war chest, emergency funds at all. 


All I have is debt that I have to pay for another 7 years for the whole family etc.





Me and my hubby are not prudent in money and sad to say we always quarrel because of this especially when my hubby was asked to leave his good paying job.


I have to dig my own money to pay with a lot of stuff and seeing my account set back to zero really angers me.






I only came across investing few months ago and bought penny shares for 1 lot or half a lot. 


And also start to buy some blue chips shares and gold accumulation plan for $100 per month.


Oh, I have to admit I like shopping on Taobao and will spend few hundreds to buy things for myself and kids.


As much as I am aware my own problems but I really need someone like you to guide me in managing my financial better.









AK said:

Welcome to my blog. :)


Since you know my blog is about hard truths, I have more for you here:


1. You need an emergency fund. 


You shouldn't be investing in stocks and putting money in gold if you do not have an emergency fund. 

Read related post #1.






2. Review your expenses and see if you are able to cut back on expenses. 


I am sure Taobao can be Taotai (For non-Chinese reader, this is Chinese for "abandon"). 

Ask yourself a few questions. 

Read related post #2.






3. After your personal balance sheet has strengthened, then, think about investing. 


Be careful to differentiate between investing and speculating. 

Read related post #3.






Remember, no one cares more about our money than we do. 


If we don't care, no one will. 

Take care and do it properly. :)





Related posts:
1. Emergency fund.
2. 7 pertinent questions.
3. Investment philosophy.

9 comments:

MSAPersonalFinance said...

Hi Ak71,

May I know what will happen when husband has a credit card debt, let's say $100K and not able to pay back?
Will his wife be forced to terminate insurance policies, liquid stocks etc to pay the debt on-behalf of the husband?

AK71 said...

Hi MSA,

That would be a nightmare.

To avoid bankruptcy, debt has to be paid one way or another.

What they do would depend on what they have.

Venkatesan said...

@MSA - The short answer is No. Each adult is responsible for his/her own debts. We no longer live in ages where the entire family (even future generations!) was beholden to debt of one of its members :) What will happen is that the concerned person has to go through the bankruptcy process - googling will show you how its done. for eg, see https://thenewsavvy.com/life-changes/unemployment-bankruptcy/bankruptcy-in-singapore-what-happens/

The Wife will not be required/forced to spend any monies. But unless the marriage is going to end, practically speaking she will be doing some of the above (liquidate stocks etc) you suggest. Our govt has done a good job, please take a look here: http://www.ccs.org.sg/

At the end, no need to panic and liquidate all assets, scrap every single cent - just get the necessary help (either credit counseling or a lawyer) and do the needful.

Hope this helps

AK71 said...

Hi Venkat,

I sidestepped MSA's question. ;p

Thanks for providing a detailed reply. :)

AK71 said...

Reader says...
A colleague told me today "money is not yours until you have spent it".

Put money in bank, it belongs to the bank.

When you die, your money goes to your children.

I was stunned.

I blur. You blur? LOL

OMG said...

You are not required by law to pay his debts if he is alive.
However if I am not wrong, if he is dead then you are required to pay for his debts because you do get his aseets.

AK71 said...

Siew Mun Kwan says...
4 years ago, I had $8,900 in my savings bank when my dad pass away.

I left so naked. I was spending frivolously.

I slowly dig myself out of the hole. Saved 50% of my income.

If i can do it this late in life, most can do it too.

Takes persistence and save consistently.

穷则变,变则通,通则久.

AK71 said...

Dolce Goh says...
Our philosophy in life shapes our destiny.
My sister-in-law always say:’钱是赚来花的’
I so stunned like Vegetable!

AK71 said...

Siew Mun Kwan says...
4 years. I took on a part time job as an asistance chef too.

The side incomes are purely for savings too.

Now I don't feel the urge to spend.

I literally do not buy anything daily.

Tarpow from home for breakfast and lunch.

Dinner is covered by staff meals.


Monthly Popular Blog Posts

All time ASSI most popular!

 
 
Bloggy Award