The email address in "Contact AK: Ads and more" above will vanish from November 2018.

PRIVACY POLICY

FAKE ASSI AK71 IN HWZ.

Featured blog.

1M50 CPF millionaire in 2021!

Ever since the CPFB introduced a colorful pie chart of our CPF savings a few years ago, I would look forward to mine every year like a teena...

Past blog posts now load week by week. The old style created a problem for some as the system would load 50 blog posts each time. Hope the new style is better. Search archives in box below.

Archives

"E-book" by AK

Second "e-book".

Another free "e-book".

4th free "e-book".

Pageviews since Dec'09

Financially free and Facebook free!

Recent Comments

ASSI's Guest bloggers

Gold at US$1,210 an ounce.

Sunday, May 9, 2010

I started buying gold bullion coins in March/April 2009, believing that it is a hard currency that has intrinsic value unlike fiat currencies which are flawed.  Jim Rogers and Marc Faber have greatly influenced the way I look at current day world economics and I take their views to heart.

When I started this blog last Christmas Eve, one of my first posts was on the subject of gold. The last time I bought some gold bullion coins was in March this year and I gave one to my dad for his birthday and I just gave one to my mom for Mothers' Day. Last year, I gave each member of my family a gold coin as well and the value of those coins have gone up quite a bit by now.

I strongly believe that we need some hard currencies as a hedge against fiat currencies and inflationary pressures. Physical gold is the most accessible precious metal in Singapore at a "fair" price. There are issues but it's a lot better than the situation with physical silver, for example.

I continue to believe that every person should have some physical gold as a long term hedge against all other forms of investments and cash. This could be gold jewelry as well for people who do not like the idea of buying gold coins just for keeps, but, of course, we would be paying for workmanship and wastage in such instances. Some would buy gold coins with commemorative messages and we would be paying a higher price for numismatic value in such instances.  For me, I still prefer the boring 1oz Canadian Maple Leaf as I buy gold for its intrinsic value.

Gold closed at US$1,210 an ounce on Friday. Translated, to buy a 1oz gold bullion coin at UOB now, we would have to pay about S$1,880.  This compared to when I first started buying last year at about S$1,400 an ounce, the numbers speak for themselves. Check gold and silver prices at UOB.

Of course, gold price will not move up in a straight line.  Prices almost never do.  I would look out for dips and corrections to buy more gold.


I will also be looking out for opportunities to increase my exposure to silver as I believe that it is undervalued when compared to gold.

Related posts:
Gold: to buy or not to buy?
Gold or silver?

0 comments:


Monthly Popular Blog Posts

All time ASSI most popular!

 
 
Bloggy Award