The email address in "Contact AK: Ads and more" above will vanish from November 2018.

PRIVACY POLICY

FAKE ASSI AK71 IN HWZ.

Featured blog.

1M50 CPF millionaire in 2021!

Ever since the CPFB introduced a colorful pie chart of our CPF savings a few years ago, I would look forward to mine every year like a teena...

Past blog posts now load week by week. The old style created a problem for some as the system would load 50 blog posts each time. Hope the new style is better. Search archives in box below.

Archives

"E-book" by AK

Second "e-book".

Another free "e-book".

4th free "e-book".

Pageviews since Dec'09

Financially free and Facebook free!

Recent Comments

ASSI's Guest bloggers

"Unemployed but still need insurance because of my child."

Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Reader says...

I am 48 this year. I have a child, a girl age 9. 

I have lost my job for almost a year. 

I also have a life whole life insurance policy that is over 20 years. 





As I have no job at the moment, I am thinking of terminating it to help my cash flow.

You may say that my girl and my spouse need the death coverage but I am currently also paying for a term insurance of $1 million on my life with only death benefit. 

I feel that this should be sufficient for my family should I leave this world before them.

If you were in my shoes, what would you advise yourself? Thank you.










AK says...

I believe you have thought this over carefully.

I would also suggest that you find out how much a term life insurance for a smaller amount of say $500,000 might cost for your age for the next 12 years. 

This is an idea with your girl in mind. 





She will be age 21 in 12 years' time and will probably be able to take care of herself by then.

Ask about a reducing term which is less costly.

 A reducing term basically sees coverage reducing over the years. 

In this case, 12 years. 

Of course, the cost of such an insurance policy should also reduce over the years. 

You might even decide at some point that you don't need that $1m term life insurance.







"I am still of the opinion that we need insurance but we do not want to overpay for insurance. If I had known this in my younger days, I would not have bought whole life insurance or endowment products when I was in NS and as a fresh graduate."

Source: Comments Section of "Free ILP or Term Life?"





Related posts:
1. Free ILPs or Term Life?
2. Consider terminating whole life policies.
3. Why buy term? How much to buy?

7 comments:

Whowillbe said...

Hi AK71,

If his cashflow issue is about continuing premium payments, can he consider converting it to a reduced paid up with a lower sum assured. Of course, the surrendered value will also change.

AK71 said...

Hi Whowillbe,

I get the feeling that the writer doesn't need the whole life policy anymore. $1 million term life, I also feel, is plenty. With prospect of re-employment dimming, I can understand the urgency to improve cash flow and to make every dollar count. :)

ST said...

Can ask for temp susoension of the insurance instead if terminating immediately.

Anonymous said...

I suspect the $1million term is more enough. However, he will need critical and disability coverage. Can top up term for these 2 areas and surrender the life insurance? 20 years should have breakeven for most companies

Ray said...

Can the writer take a taxi driver license? That's to me a social safety net for unemployed. May not earn big bucks but at least got income.

AK71 said...

I am still of the opinion that we need insurance but we do not want to overpay for insurance.

I get the feeling that the writer doesn't need the whole life policy anymore.

$1 million term life, I also feel, is plenty.

With prospect of re-employment dimming, I can understand the urgency to improve cash flow and to make every dollar count.

AK71 said...

Jimmy Ng says...

If it was me, whole life got cash value ? terminate.

keep the term.

got safra membership ? Critical life term is also affordable under this umbrella

coverage more important than cash back or the likes


Monthly Popular Blog Posts

All time ASSI most popular!

 
 
Bloggy Award