The email address in "Contact AK: Ads and more" above will vanish from November 2018.


Featured blog.

This guy has 800K in his CPF. (AK responds to HWZ Forum.)

A reader pointed me to a thread in HWZ Forum which discussed about my CPF savings being more than $800K. He wanted to clarify certain que...

Past blog posts now load week by week. The old style created a problem for some as the system would load 50 blog posts each time. Hope the new style is better. Search archives in box below.


"E-book" by AK

Second "e-book".

Another free "e-book".

4th free "e-book".

Pageviews since Dec'09

Recent Comments

ASSI's Guest bloggers

What should I do with my bonus?

Monday, June 19, 2017

I received a bonus and I was wondering which of these should I do:

1) voluntary top up my CPF SA

2) contribute to SRS

3) help my parents to buy hospitalization insurance

4) keep it as warchest

I would be required to pay income taxes for this year of assessment. I would like to ask for your opinion.

You have to decide what is more important for you. No one can do this for you. 😉

For me, having insurance is important. Bad things happen and could wipe us out.

Having said this, your parents should be covered under Medishield Life. Check to be sure. If they are OK with staying in class C or B2 wards, there is no need to buy private shield plans.

You might be interested in this:

Related post:
Enough H&S coverage for parents?


Sanye ◎ 三页 said...

Hi AK,

Do you know if a person age above 55 can still do voluntary top up to his special account?

AK71 said...

Hi Sanye,

If you are referring to a minimum sum top up to the SA, no. Above 55, you are only allowed to top up your retirement account if you have yet to hit the minimum sum.

Sanye ◎ 三页 said...

Hi AK,

No, I am not referring to RA. I am above 55 and my employer still contribute to my SA till now.

Very soon I am going into semi-retirement and the regular contribution to my CPF accounts will cease as I will be receiving a "service fee" instead of salary. I thought I could still do voluntary contribution to my SA, but a check with CPF board confirmed that this is not possible.

Instead, as I will have to contribute to my MA as a self-employed person, but this money will flow into my OA as my MA has hit the maximum.

AK71 said...

Hi Sanye,

Yes, you won't be allowed top top up your SA because you are above 55. Only top ups to RA is allowed and only if you have yet to hit the minimum sum.

In my retirement, I am doing voluntary contribution to my CPF yearly. The money goes to my OA and SA only since my MA is maxed out. Of course, I am not allowed to do any top up to my SA because it has exceeded the minimum sum. :(

K said...

Hi AK,

So even if your SA has exceeded the minimum sum, you can still contribute into SA by doing CPF voluntary contribution?


AK71 said...

Hi K,

A regular voluntary contribution would see the money going into OA, SA and MA. If the MA is maxed out, then, only the OA and SA (even if the SA has hit the MS/FRS).

Note that voluntary contribution is only allowed if the mandatory contribution (if any) does not hit the annual contribution limit. Such a voluntary contribution also does not receive any income tax relief.

You might be interested in this:
CPF Annual Limit and voluntary contribution.

Monthly Popular Blog Posts

Bloggy Award