Sponsored Links

To retire by age 45, start with a plan.

"Is early retirement the right financial choice?" Jim Ellis discusses long-term financial growth strategies. I have blogged a...

Past blog posts now load week by week. The old style created a problem for some as the system would load 50 blog posts each time. Hope the new style is better. Search archives in box below.

Archives

"E-book" by AK

Second "e-book".

Another free "e-book".

Pageviews since Dec'09

FOLLOW AK ON FACEBOOK.

Recent Comments

ASSI's Guest bloggers

Price we pay when die die must buy.

Monday, July 31, 2017

Someone told me that the fried mee from a hawker store at a market near my home is very good. Die die also must try. 

Every time I go, I see a long queue. When I ask how long must I wait for a serving? 

About half an hour or maybe longer. Forget it.

See: Comments.
On one of my evening walks, when I walked by the stall, there wasn't much of a queue. So, I tried the noodles. I didn't have to wait very long.

What does this tell us? 

If we die die must buy, then, there is a price we have to pay and that price might not be monetary in nature.

You want an example that is monetary in nature?

For those of us who buy cars, we would know the "discount" that they offer if we took a loan through the car dealer. If we did not, then, the price tag of the car would be higher.

For both my current and previous cars, they did that to me. I told the sales staff I would just buy a car elsewhere. It was not as if I die, die must buy a car from them. 

Suddenly, I could get the "discount" even though I didn't take a loan.


If we are die die must buy type of consumers, then, we could pay higher prices and it might or might not be in dollar terms.

Is this a story for consumers only or does it apply to investors too? Don't ask me. I don't know. I blur.


Related post:
I could not afford it but...

8 comments:

Kevin said...

Hi AK,

How did the fried mee fare? Did it live up to the hype?

Do you eat durians? The price of cat mountain king is currently inflated to S$45/kg. Absolute madness. -___- '''''
For me I choose die die don't buy rather go and die than pay such price to eat it. ;P

http://i.imgur.com/3fyUlWc.jpg

AK71 said...

Hi Kevin,

Good food is wasted on me. I can't tell the difference. -.-"

As for durians, nah. It has been a while since I had any. I am safe. ;p

Laurence said...

Guess this is the opportune time for durian importers to offload their company stocks at sky-high valuations to retail investors and make a killing by listing in SGX/Catalist. Just like what Singtel just did.

Cory said...

I have a super soft spot for most durians. Fortunately, I can settle for $10 per pack type !



SkinnyOldMan said...

Hi AK,

You said "On one of my evening walks, when I walked by the stall, there wasn't much of a queue. So, I tried the noodles. I didn't have to wait very long. What does this tell us? "

Actually, it tells us the same thing as how we should go about investing - keep an eye out and there will be a time when the "price" (in this case, the waiting time) is right.

Agree?

Kevin said...

TIme is money...

AK71 said...

Hi SOM,

You got the hidden message in the blog. ;)

It is harder to chase after money. It is easier to let money come to us. ;)

AK is lazy. Bad AK! Bad AK! ;p

AK71 said...

Hi Kevin,

Oh, definitely. :)

Alamak. This means I am spending lots of money playing online games now (even though they are free to play). Bad AK! Bad AK! -.-"

Monthly Popular Posts

 
 
Bloggy Award