The email address in "Contact AK: Ads and more" above will vanish from November 2018.

PRIVACY POLICY

FAKE ASSI AK71 IN HWZ.

Featured blog.

1M50 CPF millionaire in 2021!

Ever since the CPFB introduced a colorful pie chart of our CPF savings a few years ago, I would look forward to mine every year like a teena...

Past blog posts now load week by week. The old style created a problem for some as the system would load 50 blog posts each time. Hope the new style is better. Search archives in box below.

Archives

"E-book" by AK

Second "e-book".

Another free "e-book".

4th free "e-book".

Pageviews since Dec'09

Financially free and Facebook free!

Recent Comments

ASSI's Guest bloggers

Rationale for partial divestment

Saturday, January 16, 2010

Amongst the three counters I am actively monitoring, I remain heavily vested in only one counter: Saizen REIT. I have divested 90% of my position in Golden Agriculture and 80% of my position in Healthway Medical in the recent run up in prices.

From 4 Jan, the first trading day of 2010, Golden Agriculture raced from 51c to a high of 65.5c for a gain of 14.5c or 28%. Healthway Medical blasted through the roof as it started the year at 14c and hit 19.5c for a gain of 5.5c or 39%! In both instances, partial divestments took place at every resistance level as the prices rose.

Now, have I changed my mind about these two counters? No, of course not. The fundamentals and prospects are still good over the longer term. I just feel that the market became a little too enthusiastic and sent prices up too high and too quickly. I liken it to a sprinter who is able to run very quickly over short distances but the speed is unsustainable over longer distances.

Knowing which companies' shares to buy and when to buy them is important but knowing when to sell the shares is equally important. For sure, if we simply hold on to the shares till they reach the zenith before selling is one way. However, to grow our wealth more quickly, selling at resistance levels and repurchasing at supports for the next leg up could be more rewarding. It is with that mentality that I partially divested my shares of Golden Agriculture and Healthway Medical.

What about Saizen REIT? It started the year at 15c and reached a high of 18c for a gain of 3c or 20%. Not too mean either. I identified Saizen REIT as a yield counter for regular passive income. Conservatively, I expect a yield in excess of 10% per annum from middle of 2010. With that in mind, I am not too keen on divesting my investment in Saizen REIT unless the price is extremely compelling. Three portfolios and three counters: future gains and passive income.

The stock market climbs a wall of worries and goes down a river of hope or so the saying goes. Basically, it means that prices do not go up or down in straight lines. If the prices go up without a break, it means that the wall of worries is non-existent. I would worry in such an instance! It usually means that the market is euphoric and we have buyers rushing in en masse.

When we have almost full participation in the market, there is very little fuel left to push it higher. That is when the market reverts to the mean. Anytime, when too many people shift to one side of the boat, a shift back to the other side is necessary to maintain equilibrium.

In an article I read this morning by ETF Guide, it says,"Investors Intelligence tracks the recommendation of different market advisors. As of the most recent poll, 53.4% of all advisors are bullish. 30.7% of advisors are longer term bullish...... " It went on to say that even the market high of October 2007 did not get such a positive response. This is a wake up call and contrarians are taking note. Marc Faber is probably one of the first to sound the warning and I talked about this in a post yesterday: STI: Up or down?

Right, this is where I sign off. I will be going away for a short holiday from tomorrow and will not be adding new posts for a few days. Thanks for the overwhelming support so far and I hope my posts have been useful and in some cases, maybe, inspiring. I wish everyone the best of luck and, remember, always hedge and come back often.

4 comments:

bummy said...

thanks AK for your clear, concise & useful postings. enjoy your short holiday and come back refreshed for the next run up.

AK71 said...

You are very kind, as usual. Thanks, bummy. :)

Blzz said...

Hi Ak71,

Hope you enjoy your trip, just want to consult you at the current price of 0.17 is it a good entry point? :)

AK71 said...

Hi Blzz,

Er... Are you referring to Saizen REIT or Healthway? Sorry but I am still trying to catch up after having been away for a few days.

I am a firm believer in hedging. If you do not have a position in the stock yet and you really believe in it, take up a small position first. If the price goes lower, accumulate more at supports. If the price goes higher, you would benefit from your hedge. :)


Monthly Popular Blog Posts

All time ASSI most popular!

 
 
Bloggy Award