The email address in "Contact AK: Ads and more" above will vanish from November 2018.

PRIVACY POLICY

FAKE ASSI AK71 IN HWZ.

Featured blog.

1M50 CPF millionaire in 2021!

Ever since the CPFB introduced a colorful pie chart of our CPF savings a few years ago, I would look forward to mine every year like a teena...

Past blog posts now load week by week. The old style created a problem for some as the system would load 50 blog posts each time. Hope the new style is better. Search archives in box below.

Archives

"E-book" by AK

Second "e-book".

Another free "e-book".

4th free "e-book".

Pageviews since Dec'09

Financially free and Facebook free!

Recent Comments

ASSI's Guest bloggers

Three portfolios and three counters: future gains and passive income

Friday, December 25, 2009

I've been investing in the stockmarket since my university days when I was basically clueless and had some silly notions about investments. Today, I am less clueless and less silly but I'm still human. Emotions, they make us human and, yes, fallible.

To make it easier for me to manage my investment portfolio, I've divided the counters into 3 sub-portfolios:


1. Rubbish - This portfolio is similar to what Citibank did by taking out their toxic and non-performing assets and putting them in a "bad" bank. I've made many mistakes in investments and this portfolio holds my mistakes. Some may ask why I do not just close this portfolio and not look at these counters anymore. Well, human beings are forgetful. I keep this portfolio to remind myself of my follies and, hopefully, will not make the same mistakes. Examples in this portfolio: MPSF and Ferrochina.

2. Alive & Kicking - This portfolio holds shares of companies which were bought before the crash. The businesses are sound and ongoing. They also pay good and consistent dividends. In a bear market, none is spared. Their prices suffered along with the rest when global markets crashed. They have now recovered substantially. Examples in this portfolio: SPH and First REIT.

3. Current - This portfolio holds shares of companies which were bought after October 2008. I selected counters such as Hyflux Water Trust and First REIT based on their defensive business models and high dividend payouts and bought at very depressed prices. Some such as Epure which I've divested totally have been extremely rewarding. I have counters in this portfolio which I will no longer trade but hold for consistent dividend payouts.

Three counters which I will continue to actively monitor are:

a. A growth counter: Healthway Medical - Currently at 12c. In comparison to its peers, it is inexpensive whether you use PE or P/B ratios. If we look at their results in the last quarter, they outperformed Raffles Medical Group in terms of percentage growth. I continue to believe that a price of 17c would be barely fair. Over the next 12 months, I would be surprised if investors in this counter do not make a handsome profit. A strong growth story makes this a buy and hold counter for me. Healthway Medical: Growing a defensive business

b. A cyclical counter: Golden Agriculture - Currently at 49c. This is the second largest crude palm oil (CPO) producer in the region. It is heavily levered to the price of CPO compared to Wilmar which has a greater percentage of income from downstream activities. Whether we look at PE, ROA, ROE or Gross Margin, Golden Agriculture looks better than Wilmar. With the improving global economy, the demand for CPO has increased. With the rising price of crude oil, there will be a further increase in demand for CPO as an important source of biofuel. The journey up will be choppy which makes this a perfect counter for trading. Charts for Golden Agriculture

c. A yield counter: Saizen REIT - Currently at 15c. I thought I would not be able to find another severely undervalued REIT in Singapore after the REIT sector ran up strongly in the last 9 months. I've written quite a bit about this in another entry and so I shall not elaborate here. I am accumulating units in this REIT to form the bulk of my future passive income generation. This is another buy and hold counter for me. Passive income with high yields: Saizen REIT

2 comments:

Busta said...

That is a very interesting way of segregating portfolios! Personally I have 2 portfolios - yield and growth.

AK71 said...

Hi Busta,

I was inspired by Citibank having a bad bank and a good bank. So, bits of this article are somewhat tongue in cheek. ;p


Monthly Popular Blog Posts

All time ASSI most popular!

 
 
Bloggy Award