The email address in "Contact AK: Ads and more" above will vanish from November 2018.

FAKE ASSI AK71 IN HWZ.

Featured blog.

1M50 CPF millionaire in 2021!

Ever since the CPFB introduced a colorful pie chart of our CPF savings a few years ago, I would look forward to mine every year like a teena...

Past blog posts now load week by week. The old style created a problem for some as the system would load 50 blog posts each time. Hope the new style is better. Search archives in box below.

Archives

"E-book" by AK

Second "e-book".

Another free "e-book".

4th free "e-book".

Pageviews since Dec'09

Financially free and Facebook free!

Recent Comments

ASSI's Guest bloggers

Wake them up before they get financial nightmares.

Friday, April 24, 2015

I remember when I was a boy, I sometimes had to help wake my siblings in the mornings. 

Sometimes, they were the ones who had to wake me up in the mornings. 

We looked out for each other because we didn't want anyone to be late for school.







When a reader wrote to me in FB to say he woke up after reading my blog, I asked him to help wake his friends up as well. 

I am sure we want everyone around us to be prepared financially for retirement too. 

I am sure we want our friends and family to be financially secure.







My task as a blogger, I feel, is easier because people who are willing to listen will read blogs like mine. 

Targeting people who we believe need to make changes to their money habits and to sit them down to talk about it is a more delicate task. 

It is a sensitive topic, after all. 

Good intentions could be misinterpreted.





Well, let us try to make a difference, anyway. 

They might not see the light now but the suggestion we have planted in their minds might grow and blossom one day. 

They might or might not remember who planted the seed by then but that shouldn't be important to us. 

If they do change for the better, I am sure we would be happy for them.




Related posts:
1. Wealth is attracted or repelled by habits.
2. Ambassadors of financial freedom.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I have been investing all along but I had never done well in the area of financial prudence... until I read your blog.

Thanks AK! You woke me up too!


After that I went to wake my gf up. HAHAHA!

yeh said...

hi AK
i feel sad too. i work hard, save hard and invest hard.

but my younger brother and younger sister both 月光族。sometimes, i even have to help them pay bill.

many times, i tell myself not to help them. but i just too soft hearted. i hope they can one day be more independent and matured :(

sometimes, i wonder, most probably i delay my retirement plan 20 more years just to earn and save for them.

Ray said...

if they are meant to be awaken, you only need to remind them once.
if they aren't meant to be awaken, it doesn't matter if you are nag everyday.

AK71 said...

Hi BfGf,

Well, for most of us, being financially prudent is an important step to becoming financially secure.

Of course, some people are more fortunate and might have inherited wealth or run successful businesses. They might be able to do very well while being less prudent.

Having said this, being financially prudent will help us build wealth no matter what our circumstances might be. :)

AK71 said...

Hi yeh,

Yes, I remember you shared this with me before. Unfortunately, we can choose our friends but not our family.

We can disown our family but unless things have gotten to a stage where it is impossible to salvage, I think, the more responsible family members will have to help take care of the less responsible ones.

You are doing the right thing to counsel and to help take care of your siblings. My mom does that too and she is almost 70. She used to have to take care of 2 but one passed away. It is mind boggling but my uncles did not gain in wisdom as they gained in age.

Well, look on the bright side. At least you are making S$ and they are spending RM. ;)

AK71 said...

Hi Ray,

That is mostly right but I think it also depends on how we approach the subject. I have an aunt who "enjoys" lecturing my uncles and it just made things worse. ;p

Sillyinvestor said...

Hmm...AK

Seriously, we have so many people with no savings??

I know of only 1 person like that.



AK71 said...

Hi Mike,

I believe that big percentage of the adult population in Singapore have very little or no savings at all. However, I am hopeful that things will improve in future. :)


Monthly Popular Blog Posts

All time ASSI most popular!

 
 
Bloggy Award