The email address in "Contact AK: Ads and more" above will vanish from November 2018.

FAKE ASSI AK71 IN HWZ.

Featured blog.

1M50 CPF millionaire in 2021!

Ever since the CPFB introduced a colorful pie chart of our CPF savings a few years ago, I would look forward to mine every year like a teena...

Past blog posts now load week by week. The old style created a problem for some as the system would load 50 blog posts each time. Hope the new style is better. Search archives in box below.

Archives

"E-book" by AK

Second "e-book".

Another free "e-book".

4th free "e-book".

Pageviews since Dec'09

Financially free and Facebook free!

Recent Comments

ASSI's Guest bloggers

60% higher interest income from age 55?

Friday, August 11, 2017

Reader:
Would you leave your money in CPF-OA (beyond 55)? 

I can understand CPF-SA @ 4%. 

Wouldnt it be better to move into CPF Life for better returns? 

Noted that leaving it in CPF-OA will provide more flexibility. Thanks.







AK:
We have the option of moving more funds into the CPF-RA up to the prevailing ERS (1.5x the prevailing FRS) at age 55. Is it better? 

If what you want is a higher payout from CPF Life, yes.

However, do note that you will be required to move funds from your CPF-SA first and not from your CPF-OA. 

Only when the CPF-SA has insufficient funds, then, the CPF-OA is tapped.





So, let us say we have quite a bit of money remaining in our CPF-SA after our CPF-RA is created and FRS requirement met at age 55, it is not all that more beneficial for us to move more funds into the CPF-RA because we are not getting a higher interest. 

It is the same 4%, assuming things were to remain unchanged.

However, for someone whose CPF-SA is depleted after the creation of his CPF-RA, if he wants to have the ERS in his RA, he would be moving funds from his CPF-OA and the funds would then be receiving 4% instead of 2.5% interest. 

That is 60% more in interest income!






Like you said, flexibility is sacrificed but, in my opinion, the loss is well compensated.

Sweet but not available for everyone.

I have the happy problem of having much more in my CPF-SA than the prevailing FRS. 




So, will I move more money into my CPF-RA at age 55 to meet ERS? 

I will decide when I turn 55.





To anyone who just dropped in, another blog on the CPF was published earlier today. 

See:
CPF Life Escalating Plan.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi AK,

I came across a post whereby forummer posted an interesting idea. He is wondering if he have enough to meet FRS/ERS in both SA and OA at age 54, would the following idea work?
1) Invest the maximum SA allowed in shortest term FD/bond/t-bill I can find.
2) At age 55, they would move remaining sum in my SA then OA to make up my RA.
3) When SA amount invested matures, it goes back to my SA and continues earning 4% per year.

Do u think this idea is possible? Thanks.

AK71 said...

Hi Darren,

It is so devious that it could work. LOL.

However, I don't have any practical experience nor have I heard of anyone doing this. Of course, people who have a lot of money in their CPF-OA (enough to meet FRS) are uncommon and this is required for the idea to work.

AK71 said...

You can invest your CPF savings under the CPF Investment Scheme – OA (CPFIS-OA) after setting aside $20,000 in your OA.

Likewise for CPF Investment Scheme – SA (CPFIS-SA), you will need to set aside $40,000 in your SA.

AK71 said...

"INVESTMENT PRODUCTS INCLUDED UNDER CPF INVESTMENT SCHEME (CPFIS)"

See:
https://www.cpf.gov.sg/Assets/members/Documents/CPFISInvestmentProducts.pdf

Unknown said...

Hahaha...I have still 18 years to go before I can try this. Please talk to yourself if you are going to try when you are 54.

AK71 said...

Hi Darren,

I am growing to be quite forgetful. Do remind me 9 years later. ;p

AhJohn said...

Interesting, I am reading CPFIS, then found this:
https://www.cpf.gov.sg/Members/Schemes/schemes/optimising-my-cpf/cpf-investment-schemes

"The Special Discounted Shares (SDS) Scheme is part of the Government’s asset enhancement programme to make Singapore a share-owning society, thus giving Singaporeans a greater stake in the country.

Singaporean CPF members were able to buy Discounted Singapore Telecom (SingTel) shares in 1993 (ST "A" shares) and 1996 (ST2 shares). Members who held on to their discounted SingTel shares were entitled to loyalty shares."

So this is part of the history, can't buy again, only sell?




AK71 said...

Hi AhJohn,

The SDS was the brainchild of Mr. Goh Chok Tong. It was a one off item. I still have those SingTel shares. :)

AK71 said...

Reader:
Since you have so much money in your CPF, will you opt for ERS?

AK:
Probably not.

Reader:
Is there any reason why?
I just read your latest blog on how annuity works for the average investor.
Wondering if I should opt for ERS in future.

AK:
In a nutshell, it is because there is no increase in benefit for me.
For the full explanation, read this blog. :)

AK71 said...

Reader says...
The question I have for you is whether to move more funds into my CPF-RA to hit ERS or should I leave the excess funds in my CPF-OA and SA untouched?

AK says...
You want to read this blog and take note that funds from the SA will be moved first.

AK71 said...

Siew Mun Kwan says...
We could use cash to top up RA to a max of ERS.

I calculated a sweet spot of to top up RA to $220k whereby i can take 20% of RA at 65 about $65k while i enjoy about $1200 monthly CPFLife approximately FRS. level.

Base on 4% returns.


Monthly Popular Blog Posts

All time ASSI most popular!

 
 
Bloggy Award