The email address in "Contact AK: Ads and more" above will vanish from November 2018.

PRIVACY POLICY

FAKE ASSI AK71 IN HWZ.

Featured blog.

1M50 CPF millionaire in 2021!

Ever since the CPFB introduced a colorful pie chart of our CPF savings a few years ago, I would look forward to mine every year like a teena...

Past blog posts now load week by week. The old style created a problem for some as the system would load 50 blog posts each time. Hope the new style is better. Search archives in box below.

Archives

"E-book" by AK

Second "e-book".

Another free "e-book".

4th free "e-book".

Pageviews since Dec'09

Financially free and Facebook free!

Recent Comments

ASSI's Guest bloggers

Questions from an investor on HDB and CPF.

Saturday, July 21, 2018

Reader says...
I have been following your blog for a few years and am grateful for the nuggets of wisdom that you post on your blog.

I bought a resale HDB flat that is of the same age as me and by the time I fulfill the 5 years MOP, the remaining lease would be 59 years.








In other words, I understand that there would be certain restrictions on the use of CPF for potential buyers of my flat.

(See:
Older HDB flats with remaining lease of less than 60 years are problematic.)









However, I am not intending to sell the flat as I think the lease is sufficient and the flat is big enough.

To pay for the flat, I took up a bank loan with 2 years fixed interest of 1.58% and am currently using my CPF OA to pay my monthly mortgage.






I am thinking since I don't intend to sell the flat, I might as well not repay the accrued interest and continue using CPF OA to pay the monthly mortgage. 

I could use the extra cash to do my own investments.






However, I also wonder if I should use cash to pay the monthly mortgage so that my CPF OA can grow and government can pay me 2.5% interest?

I hope you could shed some light on what would be the best way forward. 

Thank you very much 😊









AK says...
I will try to focus on what is important here if I were in your shoes.

Feel free to ignore me.

I wouldn't use my CPF OA money to pay a loan that attracts 1.58% interest.

I have lost 1% interest right away.








I would use cash to pay the loan.

Even if you do not intend to sell the flat and would not need to repay the accrued interest, it still doesn't make sense to lose that risk free interest.

This is especially if you believe that having an investment grade bond in your investment portfolio is important.






AK does well enough as an investor but he is not a very good investor.

AK needs some certainty in retirement funding and risk free, volatility free CPF helps him to sleep better at night.


If you are a very good investor, please ignore this blog. ;p








Related post:
Free money from the government is good.

0 comments:


Monthly Popular Blog Posts

All time ASSI most popular!

 
 
Bloggy Award