The email address in "Contact AK: Ads and more" above will vanish from November 2018.

PRIVACY POLICY

FAKE ASSI AK71 IN HWZ.

Featured blog.

1M50 CPF millionaire in 2021!

Ever since the CPFB introduced a colorful pie chart of our CPF savings a few years ago, I would look forward to mine every year like a teena...

Past blog posts now load week by week. The old style created a problem for some as the system would load 50 blog posts each time. Hope the new style is better. Search archives in box below.

Archives

"E-book" by AK

Second "e-book".

Another free "e-book".

4th free "e-book".

Pageviews since Dec'09

Financially free and Facebook free!

Recent Comments

ASSI's Guest bloggers

Expenses. T-bill. SSB. DBS, UOB and OCBC.

Monday, August 19, 2024

It has been more than a week since my last blog post.

Things have settled into a new normal for me.

In this new normal, my expenses have increased by 3x or 4x.

UOB should be very pleased with me as I exceed the $500 minimum spending required on the ONE Card by a large amount to get extra interest on my savings in the ONE Account.

The increase in expenses is going to be part of the new normal and not transitional, I suspect.

Fortunately, my passive income is buffered which means I am able to absorb the current higher expenses.

Crossing fingers that things do not worsen.

I am still not sleeping well but, fortunately, I am able to take refuge in virtual worlds.

This has saved me many years ago from going into a depression and it still works for me today.

Just spending time alone and being focused on things that have nothing to do with the real world.

Escapism?

Call it what you want but it works.

In a YouTube video I made not too long ago, I said that I could feel apathy setting in when it comes to money matters.

I can say that apathy has definitely set in.

It is next to me now, watching me as I pen this blog.

Apathy says, "What are you doing?"

AK says, "Listen to me, Apathy, you are just a guest. You should try not to get too comfortable."

Brave words.

Writing is therapeutic to me and I am just talking to myself which helps to calm my mind as I try to make sense of things.

Anyway, soldiering on.




1. T-bill yield dropping.

In the last auction, T-bill yield declined to 3.34% p.a.

It could have been worse, I suppose.

Anyway, I got my non-competitive bid filled.

Using cash, 3.34% is still better than what a regular savings account pays.

Of course, if we can get 4% p.a. like we get with the UOB ONE Account, we should maximize that first to $150,000.

With T-bill yields declining and this goes for interest rates in fixed deposits too, high yield savings accounts should have priority when parking our extra money.

There is, of course, the added benefit of liquidity.

I also use my CPF OA money to buy T-bills but I might stop doing this because the break even cut-off yield for 6 months T-bill is 3.33% p.a. in case we lose another 2 months of CPF OA interest.

I would just transfer the money from CPF IA to CPF OA when the T-bills mature.

One less thing for me to juggle.

So, it isn't a tragedy.




2. Singapore Savings Bonds.

10 year average yield on Singapore Savings Bonds is also declining. 

I bought some SSB offered last month.

That had a 10 years average yield of 3.22% p.a.

This month, the offer is for an average yield of 3.1% p.a.

It is still above the 3% average interest I would get for doing voluntary contribution to my CPF account, although not by much.

I think I will give it a miss.

Another less thing for me to juggle.

Yes, again, not a tragedy.




3. DBS, UOB and OCBC.

Things seem to have settled down for the stock prices of our local banks.

They have recaptured their supports.

DBS at $35.

OCBC at $14.

UOB at $30.

Mr. Market might have come to terms with the eventual weakening of net interest income as interest rates decline.

However, like I have said many times before, our local banks have other sources of income and they are likely to continue growing as they retain about half of their earnings.

This means that even for people who paid higher prices for stocks in DBS, OCBC and UOB, eventually, their investments will become much more valuable.

For me, being paid while I wait is not a bad thing.

Still, do not throw caution to the wind.

The world is not in a good place now.

So many things have gone wrong and could get worse.

We are fortunate to be in Singapore but we are not shock proof.

Mr. Market could go into a depression suddenly, without warning.

That is when we roll out our war chests.

Remember what I always say.

Don't be overly optimistic.

Don't be overly pessimistic.

Be pragmatic.

Be prudent.

Be patient.

If AK can do it, so can you!

12 comments:

NerdLibrarian said...

Hello AK

Good to hear that gaming, writing and Youtube videos are helping you manage your situation.

Take care!

Oldman said...

Hi AK,
As you are a retiree with no salary, how come you are able to get the UOB One account with 4% interest p.a.?
Me too a retiree uncle, did asked the Uob staff whether can i subsitute salary with my $2.5k cpf payout and regular rentals of $8k but they said no.

AK71 said...

Hi NL,
Just sank a few enemy warships.
So therapeutic!💯
In case you are interested, it is a free game. Use my referral link for free stuff.👌
https://friends.worldofwarships.asia/steam/join/Uther_Kaze

AK71 said...

Hi Oldman,
Give the money to someone you trust and he can PAYNOW the minimum salary required to you monthly. 👌

Yv said...

Great to hear you are taking everything well in your stride. Miss your rambling and posts. Jiayou!

MeDiC said...

Hello AK, was introduced to your blog recently and have been reading old posts to glean some knowledge for FIRE... :D

Maybe you can try brisk walks or short runs to clear the mind and just zone out/me time... :)

AK71 said...

Hi Yv,
Thank you x1000! :D
I am better now and just produced a video today. :)

AK71 said...

Hi MeDiC,
Welcome to ASSI! :D
Coincidentally, in the video I produced today, I talked about restarting my exercise routine which is mainly climbing stairs.
Thanks for the suggestion! :)

NerdLibrarian said...

Hah! I know that feeling!

I don't play World of Warships but if I do, will use your code

AK71 said...

Hi NL,
World of Warships is going to have its 9th Anniversary Event next week.
Plenty of freebies.
So, it would be a good time to try it out. :)
I was told that my referral code should be this:
https://wows.asia/steam/Uther_Kaze
Have fun!

The Dreamzola Traveller said...

Aye, you are not the only ones. I spend a lot of time in gaming to kill those stress from works.
But, yesterday my last day of employment. Time to take care of my health. Regular workout!

AK71 said...

Hi TDT,
Yes, we need to stay active!
Just don't overdo it which I did when I first started after getting a health scare.
Moderate exercise everyday is better for older folks. ;)


Monthly Popular Blog Posts

All time ASSI most popular!

 
 
Bloggy Award