The email address in "Contact AK: Ads and more" above will vanish from November 2018.

PRIVACY POLICY

FAKE ASSI AK71 IN HWZ.

Featured blog.

1M50 CPF millionaire in 2021!

Ever since the CPFB introduced a colorful pie chart of our CPF savings a few years ago, I would look forward to mine every year like a teena...

Past blog posts now load week by week. The old style created a problem for some as the system would load 50 blog posts each time. Hope the new style is better. Search archives in box below.

Archives

"E-book" by AK

Second "e-book".

Another free "e-book".

4th free "e-book".

Pageviews since Dec'09

Financially free and Facebook free!

Recent Comments

ASSI's Guest bloggers

Planning for retirement early made early retirement possible.

Monday, July 9, 2018

I spent almost 20 years of my life working, focusing more on the money than on what I love doing.

Even as I made more money, my lifestyle remained more or less unchanged.

Since I did not need more money because I did not crave material upgrades in life, having more and more money didn't really make me happier.





If we are contented with what we already have, even if we make more money, we won't go and buy something frivolous.

As our income increased, if we did not upgrade our lifestyle, logically, there would be less fear of not having enough money in our old age.



I am happier now because I am spending time doing what I enjoy doing although they don't pay me a single cent or in the case of blogging not very well.

It is not about how much money I make anymore but how much joy I get from doing the stuff I do.






However, I am Gen X and I cannot help but wonder sometimes if I should stop bumming around.


Stop being economically inactive!

Hmm.

Nah.

Am I being irresponsible?

I like to think that I am being irresponsible in a responsible manner.


You blur?

I also blur.






To be honest, I have also learned to be reasonably more easy going with money because I can afford to as it makes life easier. 

No man is an island, if you know what I mean.

It is not easy to unlearn certain things but I like to think that I am making progress.

"OK, don't go overboard, AK!"

Who said that? Who? Who?

Must be the other AK.

What? You didn't know AK is mental?

Well, now, you know.







The firm belief that I must plan for retirement early has made my early retirement from employment possible.

I am just talking to myself, as usual.

I don't expect anyone to agree with me.

Remember, I am just a crazy guy.

You must be crazy to listen to a crazy guy.





However, if you are crazy like me, take heart because if AK can do it, so can you! 

100% (bonkers)!

Also published today:
No dividend because CEO was very sick!

Related posts:
1. Start with a plan!
2. Be idealistic?
3. AK should be ashamed!

5 comments:

csky said...

Congratulations AK on your freedom!

Maybe you can consider finding something interesting that you can volunteer for or get a part-time job (maybe 3-4 days for 3-4hrs each). Just nice to get some interaction but not too long hours such that it feels like a job :)

AK71 said...

Hi csky,

I don't think I have the time to do part time work now.

Too busy with all my hobbies. ;p

AK71 said...

"I think it is important not to be married to our jobs and I have seen many people who do not have a life outside their working life. The danger for these people is having a feeling of emptiness if they no longer have their jobs."

https://singaporeanstocksinvestor.blogspot.com/2016/09/thoughts-on-preparing-for-early.html

huiying said...

Hi AK, can you comment on how to hold down a job? Did you job switch for better pay?

AK71 said...

Hi huiying,

I don't like change very much.

I just monetised most of my free time.

For a few years, I was working 7 days a week, holding 3 jobs.

Yup, I was working weekends and some evenings too.


Monthly Popular Blog Posts

All time ASSI most popular!

 
 
Bloggy Award