The email address in "Contact AK: Ads and more" above will vanish from November 2018.

PRIVACY POLICY

FAKE ASSI AK71 IN HWZ.

Featured blog.

1M50 CPF millionaire in 2021!

Ever since the CPFB introduced a colorful pie chart of our CPF savings a few years ago, I would look forward to mine every year like a teena...

Past blog posts now load week by week. The old style created a problem for some as the system would load 50 blog posts each time. Hope the new style is better. Search archives in box below.

Archives

"E-book" by AK

Second "e-book".

Another free "e-book".

4th free "e-book".

Pageviews since Dec'09

Financially free and Facebook free!

Recent Comments

ASSI's Guest bloggers

Lost more on Alibaba and $200K left for AIMS APAC REIT.

Wednesday, March 16, 2022

Another reader left me a comment but didn't want his identity known.

So, not publishing his comment which has a link to his page.

The comment:

Dear AK 

Thanks for selflessly sharing your knowledge, experience and wisdom...

I recently found your blog when i googled for news on Alibaba...

Bought some Alibaba when so many said it was cheap and bought more to average down...

Wish i didn't because now lost even more... really a lot...

Your investing style seems rock solid and i want to learn more from you...

I only have about $200,000 cash left which can be invested...

Thinking of putting it all in Aims Reit because with war in Europe it is safer than Ireit...

7.5% yield now will be $15,000 passive income a year... will help me recover...  

Correct me if i am wrong...  wish i knew...




Dear BK, 

Welcome to ASSI and I am glad you have found it useful. :) 

I don't give advice. 

Not allowed to and don't want to. 

Responsibility scares me. -.-" 

A few things though. 

Please remember that 

Putting money in a REIT is not putting money in a fixed deposit and we should not look at distribution yield only. 

Putting all our money in a single investment leads to concentration risk and if that investment should go bad, we are sunk. 




AIMS APAC REIT is a big investment in my portfolio but it isn't my only income generating investment. 

You might be interested in the following blogs:



10 comments:

AK71 said...

Forgot to include links to recently published blogs:
1. Cutting Alibaba and investing for income.
2. Retirement drawdown strategy? Passive income and CPF?

SgFire said...

Another safer investment that he should consider is cpf.

AK71 said...

Hi SgFire,

Not an investment per se, more like an investment grade bond, the CPF is definitely a safe place for our money. :)

Reference:
CPF: Make money while you sleep.

keng said...

"In the stock market, the most important organ is the stomach. It's not the brain." - Peter Lynch

I think if the REIT he bought suddenly drop for no reason, he will also panic.

AK71 said...

Hi keng,

Alamak, how like that?

I better ask him to read the following blog too:
What should I do when I am down 25%?

Hxn said...

Hi AK,

I have read up your post on DBS, OCBC and UOB.
Recently I am planning to add them into my portfolio and I am planning to hold for long term, and gradually increase their position in my portfolio. However, I am unsure if I should focus on 1 bank or more than 1 bank as a start.

Would you mind to talk to yourself on your thinking of the current price to enter the local bank market?

Thank you so much

AK71 said...

Hi Hxn,

Prior to the last bear market, I was only invested in DBS and OCBC.

However, I invested aggressively in UOB at around $19 a share as the dust settled so that I achieved more or less equal exposure to all three banks on a cost basis.

That decision has paid off very nicely as UOB has performed so well this year.

All our local banks are well capitalized and well managed.

So, investing in all three makes sense.

It is also probably a good idea not to put all our eggs in one basket.

If someone had invested only in OCBC just before the multi-million dollar phishing case recently, it would have been painful, for example.

As for what I think of their current stock prices, I am not going there. ;p

However, I will say that since you are a long term investor and planning to add to your investment over time, short term price fluctuations shouldn't matter.

It is about time in the market and not timing the market in such an instance.

References:
1. Buying DBS, OCBC, UOB...
2. 3Q 2020 passive income...
"In 3Q 2020, I dipped into my war chest and bought more shares of UOB. This is because I would like to have my investments in all three banks to be roughly the same in size."

Ryan said...

Hi AK71,

Can you share your views on whether it is now a good time to invest in the top China banks such as ICBC, BOC and CCB? These banks give dividends of about 7%, so will they be good alternatives to our local banks for dividend and for growth?

AK71 said...

Hi Unknown,

Is it a good time to invest in Chinese banks?

I don't know if it is a good time to invest in anything. ;p

Since that time I was clobbered by CLOB, I have not ventured out of the Singapore stock market.

I can only wish you the best if you decide to invest in Chinese banks. :)

Reference:
Invest in Singapore only?

AK71 said...

April 11 (Reuters) - Daily Journal Corp (DJCO.O), the publishing and software company where Warren Buffett's business partner Charlie Munger helps oversee investments and until recently was chairman, on Monday said it halved its investment in Chinese e-commerce giant Alibaba Group Holding Ltd .

In a regulatory filing, the Los Angeles-based company said it owned 300,000 of Alibaba's American depositary shares ("ADS")worth $32.6 million as of March 31, down from 602,060 shares at the end of 2021.

Source: REUTERS.


Monthly Popular Blog Posts

All time ASSI most popular!

 
 
Bloggy Award