The email address in "Contact AK: Ads and more" above will vanish from November 2018.

PRIVACY POLICY

FAKE ASSI AK71 IN HWZ.

Featured blog.

1M50 CPF millionaire in 2021!

Ever since the CPFB introduced a colorful pie chart of our CPF savings a few years ago, I would look forward to mine every year like a teena...

Past blog posts now load week by week. The old style created a problem for some as the system would load 50 blog posts each time. Hope the new style is better. Search archives in box below.

Archives

"E-book" by AK

Second "e-book".

Another free "e-book".

4th free "e-book".

Pageviews since Dec'09

Financially free and Facebook free!

Recent Comments

ASSI's Guest bloggers

Most important investment idea from "Evening with AK."

Saturday, May 13, 2023

Producing my latest video on Singapore banks made me think about questions from a few readers during "Evening with AK and friends 2023."

Although they were different questions, I could thread them together as they had something in common.

This could be the most important investment idea participants could take away with them that evening.

Someone asked me if I already had a very large position in a good investment, would I add more to it or look for other investments?

I said I would rather stick with an investment that was doing well and was likely to continue doing well than to go look for another investment which I was unfamiliar with.

I likened it to having a good wife who took good care of me and cooked for me everyday.

In such a situation, why would I go look for a mistress who might not know how to cook and I might have to cook for her instead?




Why look in far off places for gems when we could find them in our own backyard?

There were members of the audience who asked if they should invest in US REITs and a couple of healthcare REITs listed in Singapore.

I could have answered those questions using the same analogy.

We don't want to diversify just because we think diversifying is a good idea. 

As Peter Lynch once said, we could end up "diworsifying".

We are likely to find it easier to make better decisions and far less likely to make mistakes when we compare a potential investment with a good investment we already have in our portfolio.

See the "wife and mistress" analogy?




Of course, as an investor, we could be polygamous, so to speak.

A member of the audience asked me what should he do with investments suffering paper losses?

He further told me that they were not paying dividends and could end up asking for more money from their investors.

That sounded like a nightmare that's worse than Tesla or Alibaba. It sounded like GRAB.

Sometimes, we must simply bite the bullet, accept that we made a bad decision and get a divorce.

Sometimes, to be fair, it was not a bad decision to begin with but things changed for the worse over time.

A divorce could be costly but it isn't the end of the world.

Pick up the pieces and life goes on.




Then, a member of the audience asked why did I put money in Lion OCBC HS Tech ETF since it did not pay a dividend?

I am quite sure I blogged the reasons why I did it but to thread it with the theme of this blog, I would have some fun now.

Sometimes, although investors are polygamous, we might get bored with having the same partners.

So, we go out looking for fun.

When we go out looking for fun, please remember to keep it that way.

"Milk the cow to drink the milk but don't bring the cow home."

Translated from a Chinese saying.

Don't let something which is supposed to be fun become something "ma fun" which means "troublesome" in Chinese.

I know what some might say.

"It's complicated."

How difficult is it to drink milk outside and not to bring the cow home?

In my opinion, it becomes "complicated" if the cow is brought home.




Before I get carried away, back to the ETF.

So, the ETF was something I bought for trading because its price became too enticing to ignore.

Fortunately, I made money not once, not twice but thrice doing it.

I even said in one of my blogs that it reminded me of why I did so much trading in my younger days.

So, do you see the common thread?

Something to chew on for the weekend, maybe?

Now, a nice way to end this blog is to remind myself why would I want to add to my already significant investments in Singapore banks?

I will remind myself why with my latest YouTube video.

Hope you Like the video. Hint, hint! ;p

If AK can do it, so can you!




Related post:
Hope you enjoyed "Evening with AK."
Recently published:
1. Fixed income update.
2. Why AA REIT?




12 comments:

SgFire said...

Hi Ak

You made my day by blogging often. Stay hydrated always with Wilmar and uob dividend

AK71 said...

Hi SgFire,

I am glad you are enjoying my spurt of prolific blogging. ;p

However, to be honest, I do not know how long this is going to last before the next dry spell.

Yes, have to stay well hydrated.

The weather has been way too warm. (TmT)

Cory said...

AK, you need to blog or provide some classes on TA. No joke. There is something there !

AK71 said...

Hi Cory,

Alamak. That sounds like work. LOL.

On a serious note, I don't trade as much as I used to.

My TA is very quick and dirty these days. ;p

Yv said...

Hi AK

Pse keep the blogging going :)
I check in daily faithfully after reading the news in the morning.

AK71 said...

Hi Yv,

I promise I will continue to blog as long as I still enjoy it. ;)

However, although I still enjoy blogging, I must say that there will be times when I feel like taking a break.

Breaks could last as long as a few months at a time.

During those breaks, to my credit, I still checked my blog every 1 or 2 days to reply to the occasional comments left by readers.

Must pat myself on the back there. LOL. ;p

SgFire said...

Hi AK

I have just set my chrome default page to be Assi web page.

AK71 said...

Hi SgFire,

That sounds like the ultimate bookmark! :D

I am not sure how this works but do you have to refresh the page each time you visit to get the latest update?

Or do you get the latest whenever you turn on the computer?

SgFire said...

Hi Ak

There will be notification on my laptop if you post a new blog. And once i opened my browser, assi will launch

AK71 said...

Hi SgFire,

Thanks for explaining how it works to me.

Happy to learn something useful today. :)

KL said...

Hi AK, given the recent run up for HS Tech, do you think there is more legs to the bull? Or will the optimism fizzle out

AK71 said...

Hi KL,

I did trade the HS Tech ETF for a bit and made some money.

However, I am done trading and simply holding on to what I have now which was bought at a price which even value investors would be interested in.

Technically, HS Tech ETF isn't overbought yet, and its unit price could go higher but there could be a near term pull back to 69c or so.

Reference:
Hang Seng Tech ETF: Buy or Sell?


Monthly Popular Blog Posts

All time ASSI most popular!

 
 
Bloggy Award