The email address in "Contact AK: Ads and more" above will vanish from November 2018.

PRIVACY POLICY

FAKE ASSI AK71 IN HWZ.

Featured blog.

1M50 CPF millionaire in 2021!

Ever since the CPFB introduced a colorful pie chart of our CPF savings a few years ago, I would look forward to mine every year like a teena...

Past blog posts now load week by week. The old style created a problem for some as the system would load 50 blog posts each time. Hope the new style is better. Search archives in box below.

Archives

"E-book" by AK

Second "e-book".

Another free "e-book".

4th free "e-book".

Pageviews since Dec'09

Financially free and Facebook free!

Recent Comments

ASSI's Guest bloggers

Young Engineers Academy.

Thursday, February 28, 2013

I was never much good at Physics. I didn't understand my teacher in school and I concluded that it just didn't interest me much. I was a F9 student. My teacher even told me I could drop the subject.

However, I was lucky enough to discover a TV series that made Physics interesting for me! I cannot remember the name of the program by now but there was this short elderly Caucasian man with frizzy grey hair who would teach Physics through demonstrations!

Although I found it impossible to understand what my Physics teacher was saying in class, I could understand that man on TV! Then, I also discovered something called "10 Year Series Model Answers". It was so easy to understand compared to that horrible tombe of a textbook by someone called Abbott which was used by my school.

My grades gradually improved and I managed a B3 for my "O" Levels. Did I improve because of my class teacher or because the prescribed textbook became intelligible? No. I improved because I found a teacher and a "textbook" I could understand.

If you have a child who is having trouble with Science, don't immediately think the child is uninterested or slow, it could be that a different approach is required.

A fellow blogger, LP, the blog master of Bully the Bear, whom I know to be a very intelligent and humble person is offering an innovative approach to teaching Science using LEGO bricks. Yes, LEGO bricks!



Young Engineers Academy is the first and only MOE registered school in Singapore that does such a thing. The program is imported from Israel, one of the world's top patent producers. MOE even bought the Excellence 2000 program from Israel for use in our gifted education programs.

Using LEGO to teach children Science offers a non-threatening and fun environment for them to explore and learn through play. This is the philosophy of edutainment! It gets children motivated and enthusiastic about learning!
 
The ideal outcome is for the children to have so much fun playing with the LEGO models that they do not even realise that they are learning!

If this excites you and if you would like to find out more, there is a preview lesson offered at $50. However, readers of ASSI get to attend for free.

Just contact Young Engineers Academy and tell them "AK blogged about this".

Website: www.youngengineers.edu.sg
Facebook: www.fb.com/youngengineers.sg

There is also a 2 day holiday workshop in March. Early birds get a 10% discount (ends 8th March). Tell them "AK blogged about this" and get 15% discount instead.
 
Have fun while learning. I like this!

17 comments:

SnOOpy168 said...

the series, i think, is called Don't Ask Me. The presenter was Professor Magnus Pie (if i remember correctly)

AK71 said...

Hi SnOOpy168,

You think so? Don't sound familiar to me.

I tried googling it and came up with Magnum P.I.

Oh, well. :)

Jermel said...

Hi AK,

Slightly off topic here but would like to ask abt your opinion in the Mapletree Greater China Trust IPO.

AK71 said...

Hi EG,

I believe Drizzt did a write up on this one in his blog: Investment Moats. I don't think I can do better. :)

I have not taken part in IPOs in many years believing that they generally do not offer good value for investors.

EY said...

Hi AK,

Your post reminds me of a quote from Mark Twain (I think) - 'Some students succeed because of their teachers. Some, regardless of their teachers. And some, in spite of their teachers!'

Wahhhh...you belonged to the 3rd category wor! Learnt a lesson on the importance of being a self-directed learner, right? Hahaha.

Anyway, I had my fair share of uninspiring teachers who taught the subjects but not the students. Good or bad, they all contributed to my development in one way or another. Grateful, nonetheless! :)

Suddenly remember just another quote - 'Some people come into our life as a blessing. Some, as a lesson'. In the same strand, maybe I should reflect if I have been a blessing or a lesson to others too. Hmmmm...

Cheers,
Endrene

AK71 said...

Hi Endrene,

I am not the hardworking type but the words "you can drop this subject" in red ink were etched into my mind. I wondered if I was stupid. Why could my classmates do well in the subject when I couldn't? Anyway, bygones.

I wouldn't reflect on whether I have been a blessing or a lesson to others. Can I be truly objective judging myself? ;)

As I judge people, I am judged by people. It is only fair. I am not perfect and can only do my best which I can only hope is good enough for others.

la papillion said...

Hi AK,

Thanks for the post :) I've got quite a number of emails and calls from people who said they had contacted me after reading your blog :)

I've been labelled a failure too. In my JC, there's a teacher who kept telling me to drop F.maths during tutorials and even in lectures. But I refused to drop because I know that I can do it. In the end, I got an A to prove it so, but it did affect my confidence then because I didn't take any S papers.

Ah...I like Endrene's quote...I would think that in many instances of my life, I succeeded in spite of the circumstances lol

AK71 said...

Hi LP,

I am most happy that this advertorial is working for you, especially after I revealed shameful personal details like getting F9 for Physics. ;p

OK, I will have to make a note to send you an invoice for services rendered. ;)

EY said...

Hi AK,

Failure is the mother of resilience! Nothing shameful okie? Hey, so the three of us are in the same once-upon-a-time-I-failed club!

Oh, btw, what I said about my reflection has nothing to do with my wanting to only be a blessing to people hor. I'm more than happy to be a lesson. Remember that I have an evil twin? LOL~ Yes, of course we need to be cognisant that others judge us too and accept it. My conscience and values guide my behaviour. So if others take issues, so be it. Never a crowd pleaser and won't ever be one! Perfect? Who is? You are great the way you are, striving to do your best. :)

LP, the quote by Mark Twain is so very inspiring right? Especially for those of us who have gone against the odds and in school and in life to make the impossible possible. Keep up your great work! CS and I are looking forward to buy you a 'thank you' meal. Let's plan ahead and see when we can meet. :)

mark said...

Steady la LP! If I ever had a kid and you're still teaching then I would definitely go. Atlas the former is 'NA' at the moment..

AK71 said...

Hi Endrene,

Unfortunately, sometimes, we have to put on a mask to please people. This is life.

However, my disdain for the mask has grown over time and I am quite happy that I rarely have to use it these days. :)

Garfield75 said...

I must say that i am talented at tutoring, I seems to know the difficulties faced by the kids...as I was a weak student once.. I think you need to really understand what motivates the kid and what makes it interesting and easy for kids to understand. I think smart pp will not make as good as someone who had learning difficulties;) not an advert here, cos that was my past life trying to make some pocket $$$ as a student... I managed to get the student from a fail to an A in half a year...so long as the kid is of average intelligence and diligent....it can work.

la papillion said...

Hi Endrene,

Thanks thanks, we'll see how it goes :)

Hi Mark,

Wah, thanks for the support! Much appreciated :)

AK71 said...

Hi Garfield,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and perspective.

It makes sense to put ourselves in someone's shoes to understand the difficulties the person is experiencing. This is not an easy thing to do all the time. :)

la papillion said...

Hi Garfield,

What not join me as a full time tutor? Or even better, consider joining the business that I'm doing? I'm always on the look out for passionate teachers who can go the extra mile and believe in what they can deliver to take this passion full time :) Let me know if you are interested, you can email me.

AK will get a commission for the recruitment too, lol

AK71 said...

Hi LP,

Wah! ASSI Recruitment Agency? New business idea! ;p

Garfield75 said...

Hi la papillon,

Thanks for the offer...

I am still happy with my current job, will look for u once I fall into the structure employment status....;)




Monthly Popular Blog Posts

All time ASSI most popular!

 
 
Bloggy Award