The email address in "Contact AK: Ads and more" above will vanish from November 2018.

PRIVACY POLICY

FAKE ASSI AK71 IN HWZ.

Featured blog.

1M50 CPF millionaire in 2021!

Ever since the CPFB introduced a colorful pie chart of our CPF savings a few years ago, I would look forward to mine every year like a teena...

Past blog posts now load week by week. The old style created a problem for some as the system would load 50 blog posts each time. Hope the new style is better. Search archives in box below.

Archives

"E-book" by AK

Second "e-book".

Another free "e-book".

4th free "e-book".

Pageviews since Dec'09

Financially free and Facebook free!

Recent Comments

ASSI's Guest bloggers

"Lying flat" is better than financial freedom?

Wednesday, April 6, 2022

I just watched a YT video on the "lying flat" movement that originated in China.

What is this?

"Tang ping (Chinese: 躺平; pinyin: tǎng píng; lit. 'lying flat') is a... movement in China beginning in April 2021. It is a rejection of societal pressures to overwork , such as in the 996 working hour system...
Source: Wikipedia.

996 means working from 9AM to 9PM for 6 days every week.

Apparently, the movement has even moved to the USA which is partly why it is harder for American businesses to find workers now which contributes to inflationary pressure as well.




"Lying flat" is different from achieving financial freedom.

It is about living a very low maintenance life to make our money last for as long as possible without having to work and then going back to work when we have run out of money.

Then, go back to "lying flat" until our money runs out and then going back to work for some money.

Many things boggle my mind these days but this idea of "lying flat" takes the cake.

Some readers might remember that someone said that financially free AK should be ashamed of himself.





I actually felt pretty good about myself after watching the said YT video.

One of the things I always say is that everyone's life can be and should be better.

Is "lying flat" a better life than working towards financial freedom?

Hmm.

Watch the YT video and decide for yourself:






Mind boggling.

While a low maintenance lifestyle sounds appealing to me, I don't think "lying flat" is the way to go.

I have always believed that we should work hard and plan for a good retirement.



People who are "lying flat" now will probably have a big problem in their old age and they could become a burden to society.

It is not just dangerous not to think ahead but it is also socially irresponsible.

Very short sighted.

Since people who are "lying flat" do work sometimes, is it a form of semi-retirement?

Well, maybe.




While I agree that a 996 work culture is bad, "lying flat" sounds like escapism to me.



People who are "lying flat" work whenever they need to while people who are "financially free" work whenever they want to.

I have also mentioned "wage slavery" in my blog many times before and how we can free ourselves.

"Lying flat" does not free us from "wage slavery" but instead shackles us forever as wage slaves.

Having pleasant dreams while lying in bed is quite nice but "lying flat" could lead to nightmares.

References:



10 comments:

laurence said...

Anyone who says our Oracle of Dividend Stocks should be ashamed of himself should instead be ashamed of himself !!!! 0;)

Rellangis said...

The people who subscribed to the belief of "lying flat" do not seem to realize it may be more difficult to land a job in old age.. and ultimately burden the entire society. (those who pay taxes) >.<

Ideally, it is better to start work (with good pay), squirrel away as much money as possible, and make wise investments at the same time. (in hope of building up a sustainable passive income)

But... talk is always easy. Real-life is different and everyone is dealt different cards to begin with...

AK71 said...

Hi Laurence,

I like to think that I am contributing to society through blogging although I don't blog as often as I used to.

I also make regular donations to charities which I support.

Anything else?

Er, I contribute to nation building because I pay taxes?

Yeah, scrapping the bottom of the barrel there. ;p

To be fair, the person who said I should be ashamed of myself for retiring early has a point but, maybe, he could have been more tactful. :)

AK71 said...

Hi Rellangis,

Yes, it is true that life isn't fair and some people could be disadvantaged.

Sometimes, despite our best efforts, things just don't go our way. :(

Still, it shouldn't stop us from trying.

We are truly defeated once we give up.

Reference:
The very first step to becoming richer.

Deet said...

AK can also contribute to society when he organises "An Evening with AK"...
*hint hint*

AK71 said...

Hi Deet,

Alamak, I have forgotten all about that one. ;p

Maybe, just maybe, once the whole COVID-19 endemic situation is stable.

Remember how not too long ago restrictions were loosened and then tightened again quite quickly when there was a resurgence?

Crossing fingers. :)



Siew Mun said...

Yes I enjoy the session in NTUC Pays Lebar yonks ago. Looking forward to another one soon. U are my inspiration then and now

AK71 said...

Hi Siew Mun,

Alamak, yonks ago?

It has been a very nice break for me. ;p

I will give it some thought.

Promise. ;)

Blur Sotong said...

Lying flat prematurely may end up lying flat forever earlier in the wooden box if one can still afford it. Maybe I am old. Honest wages from a honest day/night work.

AK71 said...

Hi Blur Sotong,

Lying flat is a sure way to be an eternal wage slave.

I hope the movement doesn't ever become mainstream.


Monthly Popular Blog Posts

All time ASSI most popular!

 
 
Bloggy Award