The email address in "Contact AK: Ads and more" above will vanish from November 2018.

PRIVACY POLICY

FAKE ASSI AK71 IN HWZ.

Featured blog.

1M50 CPF millionaire in 2021!

Ever since the CPFB introduced a colorful pie chart of our CPF savings a few years ago, I would look forward to mine every year like a teena...

Past blog posts now load week by week. The old style created a problem for some as the system would load 50 blog posts each time. Hope the new style is better. Search archives in box below.

Archives

"E-book" by AK

Second "e-book".

Another free "e-book".

4th free "e-book".

Pageviews since Dec'09

Financially free and Facebook free!

Recent Comments

ASSI's Guest bloggers

Passive income as much as earned income? Get rich slow!

Friday, May 5, 2023

This is the transcript of another video I produced recently.


Again, this is for the benefit of people who do not follow me on YouTube or prefer reading to listening.

When I started work in my mid 20s as a young graduate, my pay was $3000 a month. 

In my 30s, my pay was around $5000 a month. 

Now, if your question is whether someone who makes the median salary in Singapore can retire early, you just have to look at me. 

Apparently, the median salary of people from age 30 to 54 in Singapore is between $5000 to almost $6000 per month, according to the Ministry of Manpower. 

Then, there is CPF contribution by employers which is not included in this figure. 

If that is included, then, monthly income is actually higher. 

Putting aside the topic of CPF which is another topic I blog extensively about, is it possible to do anything with a salary of $5000 to $6000 a month over 25 years to ensure retirement funding adequacy? 




I have many blogs on how average income workers can become rich. 

Why do many average income workers find becoming rich impossible? 

Do you believe me if I were to say it is not because they make an average income? 

The truth is many of them find this impossible because they can afford so many things in life and would buy them once they can afford to. 

This is why they cannot afford to stop working. 

Spend all the money we make and we will always be poor. 

Borrow money to fund our lifestyle, we will be poorer than poor. 

Then, for average income workers, how to become rich? 

Take for example making $5000 a month and taking home $4000 after CPF deduction. 

Do you believe me that at some point in time we could actually be saving all that $4000 every month? 

This is even if our take home pay did not increase in the future. 




Start by religiously saving 50% of our take home pay. 

That would be $2000 every month. 

If we were to invest for income and if we were to get an average of 5% dividend yield per year, we should be paid approximately $1200 in dividends in the first year. 

That is like paying ourselves a bonus of $1200! 

Imagine reinvesting the dividend in addition to $2000 a month from our take home pay, it would be like saving $2100 each month instead of only $2000. 

At some point, we would be saving and investing $4000 each month.

All this because we started saving $2000 each month and investing for income. 

Like in Economics class, this example is unrealistic because we have to hold everything else constant. 

However, like in Economics class, this little exercise demonstrates how it is possible to create sufficient passive income to replace our earned income. 

The strategy needs discipline and patience to see results. 

"Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago." 
- Warren Buffett 




All of us have to work with what we have been given although there should be no stopping us from trying to change our circumstances for the better if we want to, unless we are severely disadvantaged. 

I actually believe that we would have a hard time finding people who save half of their take home pay consistently for even a few years. 

However, take this as an inspiration. 

If AK can do it, so can you!

Related post:

8 comments:

Siew Mun said...

This method works. I started follow this ar belated age of 49. Just need time and discipline. I moonlighted as a chef, become clinical lab rate, mystery buyer, and focus group discussion. This further boosted my income. With some gun powder I started to invest. I forego taking holidays to faraway countries. Now at 58, my dividend income can offer our holidays to US and future trips. I didn't stop here. I continue to re-invest my dividends. Wealth continue to multiply.

AK71 said...

Hi Siew Mun,

Wow! I didn't know you worked so hard to achieve higher income and from age 49 too! Hats off to you! :D

You are doing all the right things even now.

This just shows that it is never too late to start investing for income.

I have said it before and I will say it again.

You are a good role model.

Thank you for sharing your experience here. :D

mysecretinvestment said...

Hi AK71,

As a long time wage slave, I find the lure of having passive income irrestible. I started see my recording recording our passive income in 2011 and its been 12+ years already. Its indeed a painstaking journey but hugely rewarding and satisfying. I shared this recently (to see my info graphic, please here https://t.me/CPF_Tree/1900):

Dividend Income - the Good, the Bad, the Ugly & the Remedy

Passive income (PI) is alluring and May is my favourite month. But PI is NOT truly passive and has risks.

The GOOD
1. It creates a habit of saving and investing. It makes you want to grow it.

2.  It is relatively passive. The hard work is done upfront and my effort every month was to add stocks to the portfolio and record the incoming dividend.

3. Dividends fill the gaps in-between your monthly pay.

The BAD
1.  Dividend income is not reliable. It is highly dependent on economy & business performance.

2.  Size of dividend depends on size of capital.  And larger capital means more risk of losing more money in a crisis.

The UGLY
1.  High yield does not equal good stock

2.  Past performance no guarantee for future performance

3.  Buying in at wrong time because of FOMO.

The REMEDY
1. Diversification. Hold different type of stocks, bonds, unit trusts, ETFs and REITs. 

2.  Buy Regularly. To address FOMO

3. Keep Warchest. For opportunistic buy.

AK71 said...

Hi MSI,

Oh, for sure, passive income doesn't fall from the sky into our laps.

We have to try our best to invest in bona fide income producing assets which not only generate meaningful income but are also able to withstand the test of time.

Discovering these investments is surely going to involve work.

Of course, we can ride on the coattails of investment "gurus" but should understand that we do so at our own risk.

Thank you so much for taking the time to make such a thought provoking comment. :D

The Dreamzola Traveller said...

Hmm, my educational level low. Didn't earn much. My median salary in my 20s and early 30s was only 2k plus. And i got itchy hands went to play retail business, lost money. Took a quite a long time to recover.

But I am a great saver. Single. No car. No interest in luxury stuffs.
Build small portfolio, slowly grow, slowly save money. Wait for crisis then attack! Peacetime sleep mode, save money. Explore opportunities! Read and read! Practice what i read! Play with what I have! Stay firmly believed in my goals!

15 years later, finally achieved my financial security. The journey still on.

A bit of a laugh - during those years when i got very stress in my job, i opened my excel sheet and stared at my portfolio. Almost there. Almost there. Endure! Endure!
Helps keep up my hopes in dark times.

AK71 said...

Hi TDT,

Thank you very much for this very thoughtful comment!

1. We should all become better savers.

2. Have a war chest ready and buy when Mr. Market is in a depression.

3. Investing towards financial freedom works!

"Endure! Endure!"

If TDT can do it, so can you! :D

Sandra said...

Hi TDT/AK, I have been keeping (and now still do) an exel file too which provides all the motivation and inspiration for me to keep going when working times are tough. 😆. Looking at how the numbers grow over the years is so satisfying 😁
I may not be a good investor, but I am certainly a great saver and a firm believer in deferred spending! My friends used to ask me how much of my income was saved, I could only say what I did not spend went to savings 😆 It sure was a good portion and as much as 75% of take home pay.
Fortunately, my hubby has the same saving/spending attitude as me.... I ever jokingly told him we earning middle income salaries but spending like low income workers (think AK style minus his car and condo 😆)😂 Well, we prefer to have the last laugh 😑
Hi AK, having said all these, you now understand how much we can identify with your saving/spending philosophy😉

AK71 said...

Hi Sandra,

Thanks for sharing your experience! :D

Good to know we have some common beliefs. ;)

My condo, I blame the government. LOL.

My car, I blame my luck. ROFL.

Your comment reminds me of a blog I published in 2016!

Just be a better saver and forget investing for some.

I also remember a reader who had $6 million in cash but lost $1 million investing in stocks.

He wrote to me and asked me what should he do?

I was so stunned like vegetable!

Locking up the money in fixed income instruments might not be sexy but it would have generated enough passive money for me to live quite comfortably.


Monthly Popular Blog Posts

All time ASSI most popular!

 
 
Bloggy Award