The email address in "Contact AK: Ads and more" above will vanish from November 2018.

PRIVACY POLICY

FAKE ASSI AK71 IN HWZ.

Featured blog.

1M50 CPF millionaire in 2021!

Ever since the CPFB introduced a colorful pie chart of our CPF savings a few years ago, I would look forward to mine every year like a teena...

Past blog posts now load week by week. The old style created a problem for some as the system would load 50 blog posts each time. Hope the new style is better. Search archives in box below.

Archives

"E-book" by AK

Second "e-book".

Another free "e-book".

4th free "e-book".

Pageviews since Dec'09

Financially free and Facebook free!

Recent Comments

ASSI's Guest bloggers

Gainfully unemployed! Government is disgusted! SMLJ! Evening with AK and friends 2023 update.

Sunday, May 7, 2023

A quick update on "Evening with AK and friends 2023" before I start the blog proper.

Don't worry, it is not being postponed or cancelled.

The event will still be taking place in the evening of 10 May as promised.

In case there are readers who decided to wait closer to the date before purchasing a ticket, there are about 30 tickets left.

To everyone coming to the event, see you on 10 May!

Ticketing link in this blog:

Evening with AK and friends 2023.

-------

Recent headline in The Straits Times.

"Jobs will soon become a national security issue! Automation and AI will pose the biggest risk to the most sought after jobs for youth."

I so stunned like vegetable!

How like that?

More people to become displaced and jobless?

Regular reader are probably familiar with a phrase I use in my blogs rather often.

"Gainfully employed."

This phrase refers to productive members of society.

They are employed and they are rewarded with financial gains.

Then, what is the word I use for myself?

"Unemployed."

This is probably the correct description of AK to most people which is also why they are usually dumbfounded at least for a while before they make some polite noises.




On my part, I also like this phrase to describe myself because of its economy since I am too lazy to provide any explanation to anyone who might be curious enough to probe further.

Of course, our government knows the truth about AK.

"Unemployed" refers to someone who is actively looking for employment but has been unsuccessful.

AK isn't looking for employment and has not been looking for employment for almost 8 years now.

So, the government has a phrase for people like AK.

"Economically inactive."

If we are somewhat sensitive to the choice of words, we might feel that there is a little bit of negative undertone in the word "inactive."

It is like the word "lazy" but just a little better. 

"Economically lazy?"

To be honest, I rather like that.




Recently, I have been thinking of telling people that I am "gainfully unemployed."

If you think there is a perverse streak in me, you are probably correct.

Telling people I am "gainfully unemployed" should confuse some people, especially those who have been institutionalized by the hamster wheel that is employment.

"You unemployed?"

"What you gain?"

"You crazy or what?"

OK, can I choose not to answer that question?

I mean, being an IMH patient, there is a very easy way to answer that question, after all.




In my more lucid moments, I might deign to give a socially acceptable answer which might go like this.

"By being unemployed, I gain a lot of free time and the freedom to do whatever I want, answering to nobody but myself."

Wow!

Applause please.

That sounds very learned, if I do say so myself.

OK, end of blog.

Oh, you didn't know what SMLJ in the blog title stands for?

SMLJ = Stupidly Motley Local Jokes.

Oh, you thought you knew what SMLJ stood for but now you are confused?

What?

Your friend from China told you something else?

SMLJ = shen me la jiao?

Wow, chili so hot!

Alamak!

Don't be confused about this!

If AK can do it, so can you!

Government is disgusted with AK:
Income tax payable in 2019.

Related post:
Stop saying I am a "retiree."

Recently published:
Passive income as much as earned income.

Reminder to myself:
1. Recession could hit Singapore!
2. DBS, OCBC & UOB: Tailwind +1!



12 comments:

The Dreamzola Traveller said...

LOL. Simi unemployed?
Just tell them you are a blogger can liao.
If wanna expand more, just say I am riding on the wave in the New Age of social media power.
The internet is my office. The global audiences are my customers. Very busy ones hor, need crack brain talk to myself often.
Youtubers and bloggers are considered a profession. And the best part is - their income is non-taxable.

Hows that? LOL. :)

AK71 said...

Hi TDT,

Blogging where got New Age now?

Blogging is Old Age liao. LOL.

Now got Instagram and TikTok.

I very slow and only now learning how to make simple YouTube videos. ;p

Blogging and YouTube videos are hobbies to me.

Simi profession? Don't give me stress hor. -.-"

OK, I must go work in Neverwinter and Genshin Impact now. ;p

Sandra said...

Haha TDT, that's a good and modernized description of AK's profile 🤣

AK71 said...

Hi Sandra,

Alamak, mai lah.

You all make it sounds like AK is still working.

The idea gives me PTSD! (TmT)

Yv said...

Hi AK

Back for good since last Sat. Took your advice and opened a DBS account this morning digitally via the app I downloaded, and took up the 2Y SavvyEndowment immediately. All done in less than 10min.

See you on Wed :)

AK71 said...

Hi Yv,

Welcome home! :D

Alamak! I gave advice?

Where got?

bu yao hai wo. -.-"

See you on Wednesday! :D

sid said...

Walao, AK
Thought you talk in hokkien SMLJ

AK71 said...

Hi sid,

Alamak! SMLJ so popular? Hokkien also?

I blur like sotong. O_o

EX said...

Hi AK,

I strongly agree with saving and investing regularly but am always puzzled how this can be managed if you have a debt (home loan). So if you have some disposal income left after deductng all monthly expenses, do you set aside a percentage for repayment of home loan in the future then divide the rest equally between saving and investment? Can you talk to yourself? Thanks! 😀

AK71 said...

Hi EX,

It is not uncommon to see people jumping into marriage, purchasing a home and having children very early on in life.

I know some people don't like it when I say we should defer marriage plans and when I share what my attitude is towards having children.

However, unless we have money gushing in all the time, we have to decide what to prioritize with limited resources.

References:
1. A happy marriage is worth waiting for.
2. How to have children and a comfortable retirement?

Anyway, I am probably digressing.

Have the basics in personal finance settled first before thinking about investing.

Financial security comes first.

See:
Take steps towards financial security.

Then, start investing and if we are risk averse, investing for income is a perfect fit.

Once our investments are able to generate sufficient passive income regularly to meet our basic needs, we can let up a bit if we wish to.

We don't have to feel that we must always be buying stocks.

There will be times when Mr. Market is depressed and that is when we can invest more and save less.

When Mr. Market is feeling exuberant, we invest less and save more.

There isn't a fixed formula per se.

Alamak. I talking so much rubbish.

I have been thinking about tomorrow's "Evening with AK and friends" too much liao.

I stop here.

Gambatte!

Jon said...

Hi AK, I would very much like to attend for "Evening with AK and friends" tomorrow. However, the website says sales has ended.
Can I still attend tomorrow?

AK71 said...

Hi Jon,

I checked with Kenji because we should have a few seats left.

If it is not a big group, you can join us this evening.

Kenji will be helping me with the registration of attendees at the venue.

Let him know you are Jon and pass the ticket fee to him at the door.

See you. :D


Monthly Popular Blog Posts

All time ASSI most popular!

 
 
Bloggy Award