The email address in "Contact AK: Ads and more" above will vanish from November 2018.

PRIVACY POLICY

FAKE ASSI AK71 IN HWZ.

Featured blog.

1M50 CPF millionaire in 2021!

Ever since the CPFB introduced a colorful pie chart of our CPF savings a few years ago, I would look forward to mine every year like a teena...

Past blog posts now load week by week. The old style created a problem for some as the system would load 50 blog posts each time. Hope the new style is better. Search archives in box below.

Archives

"E-book" by AK

Second "e-book".

Another free "e-book".

4th free "e-book".

Pageviews since Dec'09

Financially free and Facebook free!

Recent Comments

ASSI's Guest bloggers

F.I.R.E. AK still needs $136K p.a. Growing richer or poorer?

Sunday, June 18, 2023

This blog is just a bit longer than the video because I had a bit of problem with the voice recording.
----------------------

I have been asked many times before if I was ever bored in my early retirement.

To be quite honest, I find that question boring.

It was never something I was worried about because I was never married to my job.

I had many things I wanted to do but just didn't have the time for them.

So, I tell people that I am as busy now in my early retirement as when I was gainfully employed.

What I did worry about was whether I would have enough funds to retire early?

I was worried if I planned it right as I didn't fancy the possibility of rejoining the workforce.

That was during a time when I didn't know what was LEAN F.I.R.E.

Of course, if you have been following my blogs, you know what I think of that idea.

Having said this, all of us have different circumstances and, to be fair, LEAN F.I.R.E. could work for some people.



However, for people like me who have aged parents and for those who have children, if we want to retire early, it is financially more demanding.

We cannot afford to be too optimistic that things will work out on their own somehow.

There is only so much belt tightening we can do if things do go wrong.

For people who have dependents, early retirement is more demanding as we have to ensure our financial resources are sufficient to support more people.

Although my passive income seems massive to some people, once we take into consideration my expenses, it doesn't leave much room for error.

I don't track or blog about my expenses in detail, but I have blogged about my budget in whole numbers before.

In an earlier blog in 2019, I said I would need around $120,000 in passive income to cover my own expenses, parental support and CPF contribution.

$40,000 per item.

Then, in another blog sometime later, I said that given the higher inflation we were seeing, I would increase by 20% the money for my own expenses and parental support.

That would bring total passive income required yearly to $136,000.

Fortunately, passive income generated by my investment portfolio, excluding interest earned in my CPF account, has been able to cover this.



Of course, regular readers know that I will not be making any voluntary contribution to my CPF account in 2023 and 2024.

This is because money earmarked for this purpose has been used to buy Singapore Savings Bonds when they offered 10-year average yields of more than 3% p.a.

My plan is still to continue saving money in my CPF account or buying Singapore Savings Bonds till I turn 55.

When I turn 55, I could continue with this plan, or I could decide to enjoy life a little more.

I was more inclined towards continuing to save more money in the past, but the COVID-19 pandemic got me thinking.

Life could be cut short quite unexpectedly.



Yes, the COVID-19 pandemic changed the way I look at many things, including investments.

So, there is a high chance that in another few years from now, I would only need $96,000 a year in passive income as I stop earmarking money for CPF contributions.

Just need money to cover my own expenses and parental support.

Of course, we don't live forever.

Although I wish my parents would be around for a long, long time, I am not sure they want to outlive me.

The day I become an orphan, I would only need $48,000 in passive income per year, all else being equal.

When I think of this, melancholy sets in.

It is bittersweet.

OK, I shan't be maudlin about it.

I am just going to talk about finance here.

Well, it seems that, over time, I will become richer than I ever was without having to do anything differently from what I am doing now.

My investment portfolio should still be generating passive income and even if that doesn't grow, over time, my wealth could grow as my expenses shrink.



I don't think I would ever need to draw on my CPF savings.

So, over time, just from compound interest, that should grow too.

Anyway, what is the message here?

Early retirement is definitely financially more demanding for people with dependents.

However, if we are able to achieve this, we are likely to do better financially over time even when we become aged.

Just remember that we cannot be too adventurous, and we should be able to avoid financially catastrophic mistakes which might force us to rejoin the workforce.

Anyway, this is just me talking to myself about my experience and perspective.

If you have made it this far, you could be just as mental as me.

If AK can talk to himself, so can you!

17 comments:

Heixionglaoda said...

Hi AK, can you talk to yourself about Landlease Reit?

AK71 said...

Hi Heixionglaoda,

I looked at it many months ago and decided that I didn't like it.

This was after I read a Q and A they published on their website.

I bookmarked it but apparently they have removed that publication.

Sorry but I cannot remember the details by now. :(

Sandra said...

Hi AK, I shared the same feeling as you too about retiring early and getting many doubts from others about it, as I was never married my job. In the past, I have always been very frank telling people the only reason I was working was I need the salary, not for the interest nor joy in working 😆

Covid does change my perspective of life too, as it sets me thinking that life is transient, and anything can happen. Whether a person is rich or ordinary, they feel vulnerable during the pandemic...it does set me thinking how I want to live my life, including my spending pattern and lifestyle.... it's so important to live within our own abilities and at the same time feeling we are living life to the fullest with no regrets, come what may. That itself is a tough balancing act!

AK71 said...

Hi Sandra,

I know what you mean.

It is not about career aspiration but financial aspiration. ;p

For sure, death is the greatest equalizer.

Everyone is equal in the face of death. -.-"

Although I became less tight fisted with money the day I embarked on my early retirement some 7 years ago, the pandemic made me think that perhaps I could relax my fist a little more.

Still, from time to time, I have to remind myself not to worry about small money.

Old habits die hard. -.-"

Henry said...

Hi Sandra. Well said. Think too many are married to their jobs due to status, identity or what not? We don't have infinite years on this planet.

Sandra said...

👍

Sandra said...

AK, relax your palm lah 😜

AK71 said...

Hi Sandra,

Hands are not clenched now but fingers are crossed. LOL. ;p

mysecretinvestment said...

Hi AK71

I have been doing top ups to my wife's and my CPF every start of the year too. Since my wife retired at end of 2020, I have to allocate a higher amount for her. For eg., the top ups we did this year Jan (2023) amounted to $79,970 breakdown as below:

CPF top up - self
1. RA - $10,200
2. MA - $2,500
3. OA & SA - 0.165 x 102,000 = $16,830

CPF top up - wife
1. RA - $10,200
2. MA - $2,500
3. OA & SA - $37,740

Total : $79,970

So each year I have to set aside around $80K just for this annual top ups. Its one of the steps necessary to hit the 4M65 target. And we are almost there.

We have also invested over $2M of OA funds in T-bills to take advantage of the elevated yields. So far so good.

AK71 said...

Hi MSI,

Singapore needs more people like you who choose to be gainfully employed instead of retiring early like lazy AK. ;p

Thanks for sharing your plan with us here.

Sounds good. :D

Sandra said...

https://fortune.com/2023/06/25/early-retiree-fire-couple-financially-anxious-spending-habits/

Sandra said...

Food for thought 🤔

AK71 said...

Hi Sandra,

Thanks for sharing the article.

What are your thoughts after eating the food? ;p

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Bad AK! Bad AK!

Sandra said...

Haha, at some point of time in our life, need to learn to unzip our pockets, wisely though 😜

AK71 said...

Hi Sandra,

Having pockets with zips is such a good idea!

Unfortunately, my pockets have no zips. :(

So, I usually leave my money locked up somewhere to be safe. ;p

On a serious note, learning to be less tight fisted with money is getting easier with time.

However, doing it wisely is not so easy. AK lazy. -.-"

The Dreamzola Traveller said...

Life is boring after retired?
Got a 67 years old colleague in my workplace. She got more than enough to retire comfortably when she was 62 years old but still choose to remain employed. Reason was she do not know what to do at house after retired.

The truth is for many people, they do not really know what they want for their life. Many of the retirees who left the workforce suddenly find themselves free and donno what to do. Even with the rising awareness of financial literacy for younger groups, many people still quite unsure about their goals in achieving FIRE. Some of them, I would say just wanna get out their stressful situation or throw letter into the hateful boss's face. LOL.

Financial freedom should not just about getting richer, it should be about giving us the security to have more choices or options in our life.

AK71 said...

Hi TDT,

For sure, financial freedom gives us options.

We can choose to continue working if we want to, of course.

For people who enjoy their work, it isn't work. ;)

For people who don't, achieving financial freedom will give them the option to stop working but they must have things they want to do in retirement.

Reference:
Why did AK want an early retirement?


Monthly Popular Blog Posts

All time ASSI most popular!

 
 
Bloggy Award