The email address in "Contact AK: Ads and more" above will vanish from November 2018.

PRIVACY POLICY

FAKE ASSI AK71 IN HWZ.

Featured blog.

1M50 CPF millionaire in 2021!

Ever since the CPFB introduced a colorful pie chart of our CPF savings a few years ago, I would look forward to mine every year like a teena...

Past blog posts now load week by week. The old style created a problem for some as the system would load 50 blog posts each time. Hope the new style is better. Search archives in box below.

Archives

"E-book" by AK

Second "e-book".

Another free "e-book".

4th free "e-book".

Pageviews since Dec'09

Financially free and Facebook free!

Recent Comments

ASSI's Guest bloggers

Singapore Savings Bond: Mission accomplished.

Wednesday, December 28, 2022

How did my recent application for Singapore Savings Bond go?

The application used the remaining $14,000 I originally earmarked for CPF voluntary contribution in 2023?

The results are out.

Fully allotted.

No need to carry forward any remaining money into the new year.

Nice!

So, money which was meant for CPF voluntary contribution in 2023 went into three Singapore Savings Bonds this year.

1. $10,000 with 10 year average yield of 3.21% p.a.

2. $14,000 with 10 year average yield of 3.47% p.a.

3. $14,000 with 10 year average yield of 3.26% p.a.

So, no voluntary contribution will be made to my CPF OA and SA in 2023.




For readers who do not know why I am doing this or if you want to refresh your memory, see:

Singapore Savings Bond or CPF?

Regular readers know that my plan was to continue with voluntary contributions to my CPF OA and SA at least till I turn 55 years old.

Although I still consider the CPF to be a risk free and volatility free investment grade bond that pays a reasonably attractive coupon, with higher yields, recent Singapore Savings Bonds were more attractive.

I plan to continue putting aside money at least until I turn 55 years old in order to add to this bond component in my portfolio.

However, the money might not go to my CPF account but the Singapore Savings Bond as long as the latter's 10 year average yield remains higher than 3% per annum.

In 2023, I will still top up my CPF Medisave Account (MA) because that pays 4% per annum.




If Singapore Savings Bond's 10 year average yield should exceed 4% per annum, then, I might not top up the MA either.

However, if such 10 year bonds should pay a coupon of more than 4%, we could see the CPF SA getting its interest rate pegged to long term bond yields and not remain at 4%.

How like that?

Cross the bridge if we come to it.

Speculating now is like "on paper discuss soldier."

I am also too lazy to think too far.

Yes, I know I think a lot but that is a bit too much even for me especially in my old age.

So, does AK mean he would continue applying for Singapore Savings Bond in 2023 with money which was supposed to be for CPF voluntary contribution?

Yes, that is the long and short of it.

Source: MAS





I might even frontload and apply for Singapore Savings Bond from 1Q 2023 with money which would have been earmarked for CPF voluntary contribution in 2024.

For example, if I should have a spare $5K on hand early in the year, I could apply for Singapore Savings Bond with that $5K in 1Q 2023.

I don't have to wait till 4Q 2023 to make applications like what happened this year.

I will have more fixed income by frontloading.

I could even do more extreme frontloading by getting more than $38K of Singapore Savings Bond in 2023 if the 10 year average yield stays relatively high.

Basically, I should have another 4 times of $38K meant for CPF voluntary contribution.

That makes a total amount of $152K which could be frontloaded into Singapore Savings Bond.




This is a clue as to the number of years left before I turn 55.

Another $152K is pretty demanding and would not happen all at once. 

It would happen gradually as and when I have some spare cash on hand.

Frontloading is something that the CPF would not allow, of course, with its annual contribution cap.

Anyway, that is the plan with regards to money meant for CPF voluntary contribution (for now.)

Next blog will be on my passive income for the full year 2022 and also what to do in 2023.

Likely to be published only in the new year.

Happy New Year!

Recently published:
4.28% yield T-bill.




6 comments:

Sandra said...

Wow, Happy New Year Ak! Really happy you ah 😊 Let's hope 2023 will be just as good 👻

AK71 said...

Hi Sandra,

All things considered, 2022 didn't turn out too badly for me.

Mostly investing in boring stuff for income means I avoided the two big bombs that are crypto and tech.

I also hope that 2023 will be a good year.

Happy New Year! :D

^_^ said...

TSLA finally crashed
fuck those investingnote losers
have fun staying poor hahaha

AK71 said...

Hi ML,

I had a hard time trying to understand why people would invest in a car manufacturer at such ridiculously high valuations.

Even at $100 a share, it is still pretty expensive.

Tesla felt like a lot of hype to me.

Just like I could not understand why people were investing in meme stocks like GameStop, I don't understand why people pay so much for Tesla.

When I read that the market valued Tesla's business more than all the car manufacturers in the world combined, that was the loudest alarm ever.

I do understand that EVs are here to stay and they would eventually replace all cars with internal combustion engines.

However, the market was paying a price for Tesla that suggested it was the only car manufacturer in the world that produces EVs.

The biggest winner in this invest in Tesla craze is probably Elon Musk.

hangloose said...

SGS this month is 2.97%, will you invest?

AK71 said...

Hi hangloose,

At lower than 3% p.a. 10 year average yield, it is better for me to do voluntary contribution to my CPF (VC3A) which gives me 3% p.a. on average.

So, I am going to pass on this Singapore Savings Bond.


Monthly Popular Blog Posts

All time ASSI most popular!

 
 
Bloggy Award