The email address in "Contact AK: Ads and more" above will vanish from November 2018.

PRIVACY POLICY

FAKE ASSI AK71 IN HWZ.

Featured blog.

1M50 CPF millionaire in 2021!

Ever since the CPFB introduced a colorful pie chart of our CPF savings a few years ago, I would look forward to mine every year like a teena...

Past blog posts now load week by week. The old style created a problem for some as the system would load 50 blog posts each time. Hope the new style is better. Search archives in box below.

Archives

"E-book" by AK

Second "e-book".

Another free "e-book".

4th free "e-book".

Pageviews since Dec'09

Financially free and Facebook free!

Recent Comments

ASSI's Guest bloggers

My plan after 3.45% p.a. 1 year T-bill.

Friday, January 26, 2024

Massive disappointment.

Many felt that when the cut-off yield came in at 3.45% for the latest 1 year T-bill auction.

I somehow got the dates messed up and I couldn't take part in the auction.

Regular readers might remember that I bought a 1 year T-bill about a year ago using CPF-OA money.

That cut-off yield was 3.87% p.a. and would mature on 30 January 2024.

So, it would not have matured in time for the recent 1 year T-bill auction.

Somehow, I kept thinking that it would.

Anyway, no loss there.






3.45% p.a.

I would not have gotten the T-bill even if the money came back in time.

I would have placed a competitive bid of 3.5% p.a.

That is minimally acceptable to me when using CPF OA money to buy T-bills.

This is because the breakeven is 3.33% p.a.

This covers the possibility of losing 8 months of CPF OA interest and not just 7 months.

So, at 3.5%, I am only getting 0.17% more than what CPF OA would pay me.

This means that for $100,000, it is a $170 difference.

For $670,000, which is the amount from my last 1 year T-bill with CPF OA money, the difference would have been about $1,140.

Nothing to write home about but still something.




Of course, getting 3.87% the last time, the difference was more significant.

Anything lower than 3.5% p.a., I would just leave the money in the CPF-OA.

Not enough meat for me to be interested.

So, what am I doing with the CPF OA money coming back?

I will try for 6 months T-bill, bidding competitively at 3.5% p.a.

If I don't get it, no big deal.

If AK can talk to himself, so can you.

Reference:
CPF account got hacked!

10 comments:

C wong said...

Just do VC with cpf

JD said...

hi AK,
T bill breakeven for OA is 3.33% for 6M Tbill (assuming 8 months OA interest loss). For 1 year Tbill, it is 2.92% though

Robin said...

Hi AK, like yourself, my T-bills using CPF OA will also be maturing on 30 Jan 2024. The money will return back to the CPFIA account. The last day of the next 6-month T-bill will be on 31 Jan 2024, so I guess we will not be in time to submit a bid for that issuance?

Also, is there a need to transfer the money from CPFIA account back to the CPF OA account before I can submit a bid for the next T-bill?

AK71 said...

Hi C wong,

That would give me an average of 3.0% p.a. interest based on my age group.

I have used all the money for VC to CPF to buy SSB instead.

Reference:
CPF or Singapore Savings Bond? It is a no brainer.
Monday, October 3, 2022

and
Update on my plan to save for income. Money I forgot I had. DBS SavvyEndowment11 and 3.92% p.a. guaranteed.
Saturday, April 22, 2023

AK71 said...

Hi JD,

Ah, thanks for the reminder.

I got mixed up. -.-"

I would probably try for the next 6 months T-bill after the 1 year T-bill matures on 30 Jan.

So, 3.33% is the number to remember. :)

AK71 said...

Hi Robin,

I will take part in the 6 months T-bill auction happening on the 15th with the returning funds.

I will refund the money from the CPF IA to the CPF OA before doing it.

I do not know if this step is necessary but it is just S.O.P. for me, in case I am unsuccessful in my bid for the 6 months T-bill.

CL said...

"breakeven is 3.33% p.a." - could you explain how do you derive at such number?

AK71 said...

Hi CL,

I read an article in The Straits Times which explained the numbers.

As that is behind a paywall, I have found a blog that did the same thing and here is the link:

Earn a potentially higher interest rate on your CPF OA by buying the T-bill. Is it worthwhile?
25 Sep 2022"


We will lose at least one additional month of CPF OA interest payment and sometimes two when we buy T-bills with CPF OA money.

So, the breakeven cut-off yields are 2.92% or 3.33% p.a. for 6 months T-bills and 2.71% or 2.92% for 1 year T-bills, respectively.

C wong said...

Thanks for sharing. I used my CPF statement and work backwards calculation on the interest earned and it worked out close to the yield u mentioned in your blog.

AK71 said...

Hi C wong,

Ah, all is well then.

Thanks for letting me know. :)


Monthly Popular Blog Posts

All time ASSI most popular!

 
 
Bloggy Award