The email address in "Contact AK: Ads and more" above will vanish from November 2018.

PRIVACY POLICY

FAKE ASSI AK71 IN HWZ.

Featured blog.

1M50 CPF millionaire in 2021!

Ever since the CPFB introduced a colorful pie chart of our CPF savings a few years ago, I would look forward to mine every year like a teena...

Past blog posts now load week by week. The old style created a problem for some as the system would load 50 blog posts each time. Hope the new style is better. Search archives in box below.

Archives

"E-book" by AK

Second "e-book".

Another free "e-book".

4th free "e-book".

Pageviews since Dec'09

Financially free and Facebook free!

Recent Comments

ASSI's Guest bloggers

Reducing risk and volatility on portfolio level.

Monday, January 15, 2024

I have picked up Yu Gi Oh again!

Found that I could play it for free online.

It was something I played but only for a bit and I enjoyed the anime.

I didn't have a deck of my own as it was too expensive to build one.

I had to use a friend's deck.

It was so long ago.

Old brain.

So rusty.

It is a strategy game that really tests my ageing brain which is a good thing.

Helps to slow the onset of dementia, maybe.

Anyway, like I said in a previous blog post, I have been contemplating just buying T-bills and bonds from now on.

Of course, if the yields decline, I could always go back to making contributions to my CPF account.

Regular readers know that I treat my CPF savings as an investment grade bond component of my portfolio which pays reasonably attractive coupons.

This way, I would continue to grow the risk free component of my investment portfolio.




I must realize and embrace the fact that I don't really have to take on more risk anymore although I could still buy more stocks if Mr. Market goes into another severe depression.

Like I said several times before, that would be the time to dismantle my T-bill ladder.

Doing this, buying T-bills and bonds in the meantime, price volatility on the portfolio level would reduce over time.

The last T-bill auction saw a cut-off yield of 3.74% p.a.

Until the Fed reduce interest rate, I am expecting similar cut-off yields for the time being.

I have put in a non-competitive bid for the upcoming auction happening on this Thursday, 18th of January.

That's all for this update.

If AK can talk to himself, so can you!

Related post:
SSB, T-bills, banks and plan.

13 comments:

Yv said...

Hi hi

Can't remember if you have talked to yourself or if any readers have talked about Maribank Investment which is giving ~4.06% p.a. What's your take on this?

AK71 said...

Hi Yv,

That belongs to SEA or Shopee, if I remember correctly.

I don't know anything else about it.

We have to ask how an entity is able to pay us when they promise to pay us.

OCBC pays out 50% of their income as dividends, for example.

SEA has been loss making for many more years than it has been profitable.

When I am in doubt, I stay out.

A said...

Hi AK, hope you are having fun in the gaming world. Ireit share price have been trending down since the last rights issuance. Is this a sign to accumulate? How have you been talking to yourself on this?
Cheers!

AK71 said...

Hi A,

I talked to myself on YouTube regarding this not too long ago.

You might have missed this video:
This REIT is a "MUST BUY" but only at a 9% distribution yield. When might that be?

NerdLibrarian said...

Hi AK

It is honestly inspiring to see you doing what you want with your life, the epitome of FIRE.
Can I ask what games are occupying your time now? Yu-Gi-Oh, Black Desert Online, World of Tanks?

On a related topic, what do you think of Hong Kong Land? It is not heavily levered but is heavily invested in Hong Kong and China.

Thanks in advance

SgFire said...

Hi Ak

Can you talk to yourself on sabana latest result and wilmar price slide ?

Jw said...

Hi AK,

Any thoughts on wilmar with recent news on its china unit?

Jw said...

Hi AK,

Any thoughts on Wilmar with recent bad news?

AK71 said...

Hi NerdLibrarian,

I am playing all the three games you have listed and more. ;p

Neverwinter is still my main game and I also like to try out new F2P titles if they look interesting to me.

I am living the life I have always dreamt of in my younger days but I could never have thought that games could be F2P.

Happiness! :)

As for Hong Kong Land, I have come to realize that undervalued can stay undervalued for a long time, especially with property developers because their earnings are so lumpy.

Hong Kong Land used to have an advantage in that they are the largest office landlord in Hong Kong, if I remember correctly.

That advantage is no longer so since Hong Kong is on a downward spiral and office demand has been crashing as a result.

Anyway, my plate is quite full and I am not looking to add anything else.

AK71 said...

Hi SgFire,

Sabana REIT is chugging along fine with the DPU reduction a result of holding back 10% of income.

It isn't a bad idea as it would allow the REIT to rely less on debt to fund AEIs, for example.

Just crossing fingers that things would settle down soon now that the management is internalized.

As for Wilmar, when it comes to price action of any stock, it is just a reflection of market sentiments.

AK71 said...

Hi Jw,

There will always be bad news somewhere.

For an entity as large as Wilmar, there is bound to be bad news every year.

Every time there is bad news for Wilmar, the stock price slides.

However, if the bad news is localized and affects only a segment of business, is it that bad?

Wilmar is a lot larger than one segment of its business and I am looking to add at $3 a share which has always been a price Mr. Kuok buys at.

Wilmar trades at a discount to book value and a 5% dividend yield which looks good to me.

SgFire said...

Tbill 3.4% so sian

AK71 said...

Hi SgFire,

I missed that 3.45% cut-off yield 1 year T-bill because my 1 year T-bill with CPF OA money only matures on 30 January.

Hope that 6 months T-bill will be more rewarding.

I wouldn't have been successful if I had tried anyway because my bid would have been 3.5%.

Anything lower, I wouldn't bother.


Monthly Popular Blog Posts

All time ASSI most popular!

 
 
Bloggy Award